• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Bucket Seat Mounts & Sunroof Plate

Alan_M

I'm about to do some welding on the 205 for some seat mounts and was deliberating whether the tube I have is adequate. I have a choice, a rectangular steel tube of 1.5mm wall thickness about 1.5" x 0.75" or some steel 'L' bar that is about 5mm wall thickness and 1" x 1". The tube would be preferred......

Also, I have some 0.5mm ally sheet at my disposal about the correct size for a sunroof plate. I reckon its too thin myself, but I've been told that as its not really structural it doesn't matter. Opinions?

Baz

I'd use the tube as it'll be stronger despite slightly smaller, but butt the tube up to a spreader plate rather than just welded straight to the shell.

How thin is the ally? The sunroof plates that were made and sold in the group buy previously were only 1.6mm anyway, it's only covering a hole and especially not of importance if caged too IMO.

Tom Fenton

That gauge box section is furniture box, sod all strength to it, not suitable IMO. 5mm thick inch angle iron is thick enough, but a bit small at inch by inch.

I used 2"x1" box with a 4mm wall for my seat rails.

0.5mm ally sheet is also a bit thin IMO for a sunroof cover, if you are going to do it, for the sake of a bit of ally sheet, do it right.

Edited by Tom Fenton

Baz

I must've missed the thickness of the ally plate initially, teach me to skim read won't it! :)

Thinking about it, the box/tube will probably compress as soon as you bolt the seat to it too as it's quite thin, so as Tom says!

Alan_M

Ta.

Got hold of some 16swg ally plate and 50mm x 25mm x 3mm box section now, both of which should be suitable. So as to not waste the 0.5mm sheet, I've had the idea of using it as doorcards.

One thing, when removing the sunroof, will I need to pull my cage out as well?

James_R

unlikely :rolleyes:

tom_m

?can you get anymore of the 0.5mm sheet alan?

Alan_M

No, I actually need more for the other doorcard.

I can point you in the right direction though, keep a look out for closed roads if you know what I mean :)