• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iamjackiechan

Cam Belt Cover, Do You Or Dont You

iamjackiechan

hi

just got my s16 in the car and the combination of the mc hitting the cover and im running megajolt makes it almost impossible to fit the cover.

im a little worried about the very slim chance of something snapping the belt.

does anyone else not run a cam belt cover, any bad experiences that i would rather not hear.

will

welshpug

hmm, see avatar....

ORB

i dont. i never have!

SweetBadger

Don't run without covers! You'll be kicking yourself if anything gets into the cambelt...

I've had to rebuild the top end of my MI recently after hitting a gravel trap at Rockingham - stones flew into the cambelt and made it skip a couple of teeth, end result 8 bent inlet valves! It's a sickening feeling when it happens and all it would have taken is a few bits of plastic to stop it.

It doesn't take much to make a belt skip a tooth or two.

Edited by SweetBadger

cherry_red

Has anyone made a clear perspex cover for the mi16?? Think it would be nice to show off the pulleys.

ORB

A good friend of mine ran covers on his MI16 for a long time, he got some gravel stuck inside the cover and it could not bounce out. Thus, wrecked the head.

kyepan

properly fitted covers should not allow ingress of dirt, let alone stones.....

the main cause of wear on drive belts is dirt, dust and small hard particles, not only will belts wear quicker with covers off, as above they are prone to being jammed.

boombang

My aux belt snapped on my old 309 Mi. Normally this would just leave you with a chancey limp home, hoping don't run out of sparks.

On this occassion though, I had no cambelt cover, so got a grand total of 8 bent valves.

Put the cover on...

Tom Fenton

I don't run any of my 205's without cambelt covers. For 10 min work to put them back I wouldn't want to risk it.

lfallgti

should keep it on, even if it is a pain to make fit

Rom

Not worth the risk. Enough mishaps listed here to show that. Yes people have run without them fine, but even the slightest chance of problems isnt worth it.

Cameron

Its retarded frankly. :lol:

Alright to do if you want to be all Max Power and show off your bling pulleys, but as lots of people have said they are fitted for a very good reason!

Do what you want really. To those who run without them, I don't think I'm alone saying I'll wait for your "help, belt jumped a tooth" thread. :)

EdCherry

Personally id always run one.

Saying that one of the guys in the GT series at combe runs his cosworth without one which I think is a bit stupid bit with no gravel traps I guess he doesn't feel the need to run them!

philfingers

easy to drop something in the engine bay and forget where it's gone too, little nut, whaster.. . . .it's all it takes!

timb1046
easy to drop something in the engine bay and forget where it's gone too, little nut, whaster.. . . .it's all it takes!

i left a pair of mole grips and a 10mm ratchet spanner on the end of the clutch cable for 3 months, also a china mug was found after a 100mile trip. i rarely loose nuts/washers as i figure i'd loose them due to size, its all the big things i assume i'd remember that i tend to leave.

i hate to think what i would loose if i became a surgeon!

EdCherry
i left a pair of mole grips and a 10mm ratchet spanner on the end of the clutch cable for 3 months, also a china mug was found after a 100mile trip. i rarely loose nuts/washers as i figure i'd loose them due to size, its all the big things i assume i'd remember that i tend to leave.

i hate to think what i would loose if i became a surgeon!

"Wheres my rolex gone?" :lol:

Rom

Ha !

I left a 2ft extension on a customers slam panel, sat down between the rad and the panel. A year later at next service, another tech found it, still in the same place :D

cRaig

I found a pair of tin snips and a paint scraper in my bay after a 200 mile trip back to bath. Now if only I could remember why the bloody hell I needed either of them in the bay in the first place.. :D

Dont work on your car when tired/rushing.. :D

oli-pug

One of my mates is always leaving his spanners on track rod ends :D

Sign in to follow this