• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Does Primer Colour Determine Metalic Shades?

Ricardo

Just had a go at spraying Miami Blue over white primer and it looks too light. The paint was mixed to the earlier shade (apparently two shades against code MOMY! :) ) which was matched against the plastic colour cards.

The bonnet metalic is deffo over white whereas the bottom panels fore of the doors are over black! (might be a replacement panel tho.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

marksorrento205

IIRC primer colour effects the overall colour, but im not a sprayer. Just what a paint supplier told me.

mickie

just from the little amount of spraying ive done i'd say yes it does

Ricardo

Anyone know which primer it should be then?

The plastic card matched the bonnet and from the rubbing down the prior blemishes the primer was white so maybe it's my spraying technique!

Is it best to spray met paint with a fine coat or a normal covering?

Maybe the paint on the bonnet was the darker shade that ended lighter due to the white primer :)

toddydal

yes it does,most colours now have value shade primers so on a 1 - 6 and 1 being white and 6 being black i would say with miami a 3 or a 4 value shade but also some paint companys have very very good coverage and will cover white primer with 3 coats,i know shirwin williams has good coverage so that would have been ok,when i do something thats bad coverage i put a blue primer as close a match to the car as i can get

toddydal

the colour primer i would put on would be a mid grey.if you go white it will look lighter and if you go black it will look darker so you want to be in between

willmounsey

If you are to use spray gun you could mix a very small drop of miami blue with the primer, this will make colour matching easyer but if its aerosol use a grey.

Will

SurGie

Nice idea, would that still work on Graphite grey as well ?

Cheers

Ricardo

Cheers guys.

Some very interestig stuff there, especially the 1 - 6 scale and the adding miami to the primer.

Toddydal...3 coats would be after each had chance to dry or set a little? Or leave for an hour or so?

willmounsey
Nice idea, would that still work on Graphite grey as well ?

Cheers

You wouldn't need to with the Graphite grey since the primer is grey already mate but then again i've never spraed Graphite grey so im only guessing there (graphite grey, grey primer should go together without the need to tint :) ).

Using a coloured primer can totally change the original colour of the paint when applied (even the slightest tint) so by tinting the primer with the colour of whatever it is your spraying you have a better chance of colour macthing (also depends on the condition of the original paint on the other panels).

I've found this to work quite well apart from silver (which to me is the feckin hardest to colour match) because of the many different varients and even the spray gun pressure will have an affect on finish colour but more noticable with silver (or i just cant spray silver that well :P ).

I'm not a pro at this but i've picked up a lot of little hints and tips on my learning curve, its amazing how many things can change the tint of a colour from air pressure, temprature to even the way you apply the paint to the panel :blush:

Will

pugman211

ideally you will want a darkish grey for the miami colour. And just keep your colour to the primer for first 2 coats. then flick out more one last coat. If you were to repaint the lighter panel now, you would not need to re-prime it, because the base colour is already there.

And dont have pressure too high, or put it on too light as that will change colour slightly.

Ricardo

So what you all realy mean is ....it's a doddle this spray painting lark!! :)

Hailsmileys.gif

I'm quite 'arty' and very practical ex fitter and turner but spraying metalic is an art in itself me thinks!

one panel met is easy enough but matching....well it's been said before..

I've been warned years ago about metalics that were cellulose and the flake or aluminium powder either sinking within the paint mix in the gun and also when applied!

GSthouhardtailtank.jpg

TrikeTank.jpg

Ricardo

Just found another code for Miami Blue....EMY....from the codes thread.

Well I think I'll have to mix a bit of black to my white primer and see how it goes.

Cheers for the input guys.

Ricardo

Well I tried! :(

1st - got the primer on well and nice n grey (added some black to mi white primer) smoothed and ready!

2nd - Got the met blue on and thought was nice n even but got a few bits splattered on the surface.. :P

3rd - light coat of clear lacquer

When I got the bonnet outside I could see it was patchy!! DOH

So I rubbed it super flat and tried again with the met...

Absolutely rubbish!! And I ve noticed a dent I must have missed earlier!!! double DOH!

I give up...I'm now putting it back on the car and driving to the local body shop for them to spray....

Hats off to you spray painters out there..I thought I was OK at this but I've only ever sprayed small bits like fairings, tanks etc. large metalic areas I am gonna keep well clear of.

Ricardo

Colour matched bonnet but a little light and needs keeping down!

P5080004.jpg

Jrod

I did a section on my capri bonnet and thought it was really easy. :ph34r:

capriwash185.jpg

(front left corner)

SurGie

Sorry to butt in but ant that number plate illegal ??

Jrod

Yep.