• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simes

Bilstein Streetline Kit

Simes

Can anyone with first experience of this kit tell me whether they have noticed that their ride height has risen?

I heard reports that it can raise due to the gas filled dampers. I am aware that springs raise the height of the car but I've been doing some experiments with a Bilstein shock off the car and an OE Pug one (which is oil filled) and the Bilstein seems to (after compression) stand taller.

Do these kits come with the complete strut ready assembled for immediate swap?

ta :D

C_W

The only thing that determines the ride height is the spring, Gas shock absorbers do push out gently when there is not force on them but they won't raise the height of the car.

It could be that the kit hasn't settled yet or

it didn't have standard springs on before or

the struts are slightly different at the spring base

Simes

Cheers Chris,

that's exactly what I thought, I don't have the kit yet I was just pissing about with some leftovers, I have heard that these kits raise the car must just be on the springs settling down.

Ahl

My car rides on bilstein shocks with eibach springs.

To begin with it sat very high, but it seems to have settled down slightly now.

It still sits a fair bit higher than before, but I blame knackered old springs for the low ride height previously. It handles much better these days tho!

Guest puggti

so the Blisteins are worthwhile then?

Ahl

No. We just all like to lie through our teeth and decieve innocent members. :D

Yes, the bilstein kit is very worthwhile, and very good for the money. Don't expect a slammed ride though!

fiji bob

id go with the shocks from the kit and eibach springs although youll have to get the back lowered as well

Guest puggti

ok so how much do Eibachs lower it by, i already have -35 mm springs on the front and the back is standard, looks ok though, i want to go like 60mm at the front and drop the torsion bar 50mm at the back!

Cud i still use the Blistein Streetline shocks with this or wud i have to get shorter stroke ones due to it being lowered by 60mm??

Cheers

Ross

Simes

Could anyone confirm whether this kit comes with suspension top mounts? Or do I just buy Group N ones?

fiji bob

just comes with shocks/springs

puggti i think the eibach springs are -35mm

Ahl

fiji bob is quite right about the eibach springs and he's right, they are worth paying more for.

Puggit - new suspension can raise the car slightly, due to your old suspension being worn and sagging. Mine has -35mm Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks and it sit quite high. Handles well though.

Lowering the car 60mm and 50mm at the back wont help your handling anywhere but on a track.

The driveshafts at the front dont like aiming up the way, and are likely to pop out or break. The torsion bar suspension on the rear especially doesn't like being lowered much - you'll be left with very little suspension travel (even if you do cut the bumpstops) and this will leave you even more likely to go through a hedge or wall. Backwards! ;)

Ideally you would need lower struts when lowering the car by 60mm.

Simes
Puggit - new suspension can raise the car slightly, due to your old suspension being worn and sagging. Mine has -35mm Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks and it sit quite high. Handles well though.

Right then!! I'm planning on getting Eibach springs and the Streetline kit and it seems that it may not lower the ride height, does this mean that I do not have to declare to my insurance company?

My current insurance company, Axa, will not insure my car if it is 'lowered' - this is a bit 'grey'!

Ahl,

Did you have the rear end lowered to match front?

Edited by Simes

fiji bob

it will lower the car as long as its at the standard ride height at the moment my car noticeably dropped with the streetline kit springs and dropped a bit more with the eibach ones

Simes

Cheers Fuji Bob!

Yes it is on 90,000mile old standard springs.

Right where is my cheque book!

Guest alileg69
Could anyone confirm whether this kit comes with suspension top mounts? Or do I just buy Group N ones?

Simes, do you know of anywhere that you can but Group N Top mounts? i cant find anywhere!!! (though ive not looked that hard yet!!!!) ;)

cheers

ali

Ahl

rallycar's website is quite good, but phone up peugeot sport directly to order the goods.

Rallycar refused to do anything else other than £15 next day delivery for me. Peugeot sport posted them to me in 2 days for £3!

Peugeot sport: 0870 7521041

The part numbers on rallycar are the correct peugeot ones too.

Alan_M

What sort of condition is rear beam in though?

If its shagged then there's little point in lowering it until the beams sorted.

I got my beam rebuilt first, then had Bilstein Sprintline kit (Grp N shocks i think) and Grp N PugSport front and rear mounts fitted. Can't begin to describe the change in handling!

ALong with the brake mods (285mm discs and braided hoses), the 1.9er has been revamped.

Just need that Mi16 on throttle bodies to finish it all. Getting closer to finding one too!

Simes
What sort of condition is rear beam in though?

If its shagged then there's little point in lowering it until the beams sorted.

It's in pretty good nick for 90,000 miles however one side is starting go; I have already been in contact with Jim 'Perfecto Pug' and it will be getting over-hauled shortly.

Sign in to follow this