• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest widemouth

Rear Disc Conversion

Guest widemouth

Hi all,

New to the Pug thing with a 1.6gti on a j plate. Could do with knowing whats needed to convert the crap rear drum brakes to disc? i.e are the spindles the same? I have a new master cylinder and handbrake cables and the compensator has been removed but i still cant get the back brakes up to temprature.... also are any special tools needed to overhaul the trear beam as i seem to have a little play in the o/s arm?

Cheers

Edited by widemouth

Baz

Rear drums work better than discs...

You need to change the stub axles to change to discs, why and how are you trying to get them up to temp.??

Guest widemouth
Rear drums work better than discs...

You need to change the stub axles to change to discs, why and how are you trying to get them up to temp.??

I had a lot of under-steer when braking hard, I've since replaced the master cylinder and I can adjust the pressure to the rear brakes but it doesn't seem to brake evenly. Why do you say stay with drums are the rear discs crap at there job? i cant see them being worse than drums.

Baz
Why do you say stay with drums are the rear discs crap at there job? i cant see them being worse than drums.

Because drums work. The rear brakes don't do alot anyway, and i personally don't like rear discs, the only advantage to them is ease of servicing.

Here's a tip for you!; Try a search before asking questions as most of the information and answers you require is already here!

Guest widemouth
Because drums work. The rear brakes don't do alot anyway, and i personally don't like rear discs, the only advantage to them is ease of servicing.

Here's a tip for you!; Try a search before asking questions as most of the information and answers you require is already here!

Are the handbrake cables prone to stretching then?

Cheers thanks for the tip, sorry was easier to post than search :D

large

I have run the same car on discs then drums. Imho the only difference between them is the handbrake works when you have drums :D .

yorkshirekowboy
I have run the same car on discs then drums. Imho the only difference between them is the handbrake works when you have drums :D .

my handbrake was crap on my car, replaced the cables hey presto! They looked in perfect conditon from eye, but they had just stretched and even if you tighten them from the base of the handbrake, they still seem to stretch when applied...

pugdamo

You will never see an improvement with fitting discs in normal driving,the only thing that will change is your handbrake wont be as good as it is with drums :P

Saying that im going to fit rear discs to mine because i have all the bits ready to put on (the stub axles,mounting plates,calipers,discs,pads,handbrake cables and compensator valves),i also prefer the look of them (lame excuse i know :D )

Edited by pugdamo

Rippthrough

The main question is, why are you braking hard into a corner? :D

• Like 1

supersub14

so he can get round it.... :P

Baz

Or find understeer and go straight on by the sounds of it...

RossD
so he can get round it.... :P

Most people brake before the corner and not into it :rolleyes:

pugdamo
Most people brake before the corner and not into it :blush:

Slow in, fast out thats the way to do it :angry:

Guest widemouth

Thanks to all who posted useful replies, regarding the under-steer this was happening whilst left foot braking and slow in fast out does work but i find left foot braking (on my other cars didnt cause understeer) balances the car through the corners, so i'll stick with drums and replace the cables and sell the calipers etc, just not a quick job when i''ve got a tank guard fitted :D

Baz

you're doing it too hard then!

Guest widemouth

Haven't driven competitively since master cylinder change so I'm hoping this was the fault not my driving :D