• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

309 Beam, Is It Or Is It Not?

acox99

I bought this off a guy a couple of years ago, i helped him remove it from his 5dr goodwood, but several people have disputed the fact its a 309 beam. How can i tell if iv been had, or if it is?

here are some pics

th_DSCF2883.jpg

th_DSCF2884.jpg

th_DSCF2882.jpg

th_DSCF2881.jpg

welshpug

if it came of a 309 it's a 309 beam, you wont be able to use a 205 beam on a 309 without some wheel spacers at the very least.

measure it :lol:

one thing to mention though, its not a gti beam, its a base model beam converted to discs, there's no ARB!

Anthony

The front mounts are certainly offset the correct way for a 309 beam, and the with the exception of very early 205's, 205's don't have red torsion bars, whereas 309's do. The torsion bars should be 20mm diameter - open ended ring spanner is a good test if you don't have any verniers to hand. As stated above, the lack of ARB is odd and points to it being a base model beam - the TB's will be thinner (18.5mm?) if that's the case.

taylorspug

I dont think you can even fit a 205 beam tube on a 309,so the tube will definately be 309.

acox99

Thats what i thought, i will measure tonight, if they are the correct torsion bars, someone has obvously removed the ARB at some point, bollocks

what would it be worth then?

Tom Fenton

I can't 100% remember the difference, but it is something like 96cm end to end for a 309 beam tube, and less (93 or 91 maybe?) for a 205 one.

taylorspug

If that is the case and you want a complete 309 GTI beam ive got a standard 309 GTI ARB that you can have for a tenner. Im not a million miles from you either.

maxi

I would say its a 309 beam tube, purely for the fact theres no central seatbelt retainer or any sign of it having been there on the middle of the tube. It looks to me as if the ARB has been nicked out of it as the bungs look fairly new in the trailing arms. As Ant said measure up the torsion bars.

I have seen a 309 with a 205 beam tube on, purely to make it mobile to go to the scrappies. It had very narrow steel rims to allow the wheels to actually rotate.

Maxi

MerlinGTI

The tortion bars are 18.5 mm, measured myself with a digital vernier

Anthony
The tortion bars are 18.5 mm, measured myself with a digital vernier

Base model 309 beam that's been converted to disks then - bet the Goodwood handled woefully with the soft torsion bars and lack of an anti-roll bar...

Still, on the bright side, swap the torsion and anti-roll bar off a 309 GTi beam and it'll be fully GTi spec :lol:

acox99

iv put it up for sale £60, want rid, cheap 309 beam anyone?

Alastairh

May aswell pull the arms out and see what its like inside.

If its mint, you'll more than likely get more for it...

Al

Miles

As said just because it doesn't squeak etc doesn;t mean it's any good I;m afraid the complete beam could be scrap unless stripped down for inspection which really is worth doing as said it will make it increase in Value, not that there's many 309's around

Fearon

How much to turn this in to a GTi beam then?

Im after 1..

Baz
May aswell pull the arms out and see what its like inside.

If its mint, you'll more than likely get more for it...

Al

Agreed, do that!

Baz

Well, it has 18mm torsion bars, no ARB and is certainly a base model tube with GTi arms. Took one of the arms/shafts out last night, came out easily enough and looked ok, certainly would go again, and just did the other side.

Here's the results;

DSC00762.jpg

Fail...

acox99

It aint meant to come out like that!!! Can you now make up a beam using the other arm you have got?

Baz

The shaft yes, that looks usable as i say, but makes the tube and one shaft scrap! And it was a decent tube i was really after! the trailing arms are ok yes, can just press in new shafts etc.