• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Widening Steelies

gti_al

Wanted some 14'' steelies to preserve my road tyres, but don't know what to ask for

I'm thinking 7'' wide, because it should fit ok. Just not sure what offset to get. I don't think 15'' speedlines fill the arches on the back very well with drums, so maybe that could be sorted with a lower offset.

Here is a pic of my car, to hopefully show what i mean about the rear end. It has 1.6 hubs on the front

IMG_0198.jpg

What should i get?

welshpug

back looks spot on, any more and they'll rub.

gti_al

really? Ones with disks on the back seem wider

Rom

That low and it would rub. Tyre looks to be up in the arch slightly, so bringing it out more will be touching the arch.

gti_al

I think that pic is deceptive. It was on a hill, and the handbrake was on. It is no more than about 30 or 35mm lower

Has anyone got a pic of 7j rims on a 1.6?

gti_al

I've been searching for info for a few days, and nothing too conclusive is coming up. This thread is about as close as i can find

Given it is a 1.6 beam, will et10 to 15 be ok. Height is irrelevant, as it needs to be raised anyway (The tyres in the pic are my sensible road ones, and at 195 55 they are a bit tall and close to the rear valance).

I'm just after confirmation that others have made it work.

A search suggests that the beams are this wide:

205 1.6 beam - 52.3"

205 1.9 beam - 52.7"

309 beam - 54.01"

Therefore, if someone has got 15x7 et10 wheels on a 1.9, i should be ok with 14x7 et10 and low profile tyres... Please someone just agree with me. Or maybe et15 just to keep the front sensible on 1.6 hubs

Henry Yorke

I have a reconditioned (wheels sit vertical) 1.9 beam on the back of my CTI with 6.75x15 ET8 wheels, dropped a little too much with 195/50/15 tyres There was light rubbing on the plastic arch but that seems to have settled down and automatically adjusted itself!

gti_al

Thanks for that henry. I've actually sourced some 13x5 steels, from a base model car. It seems that tyres are pretty easy to get in 13", but the widest rim i can get is 6j.

I'm thinking i might have a go at that. It will cost very little, and should allow me to run lower profiles to assist with gearing, and cut a lot of unsprung weight. It will obviously look a bit different, but i think with a low offset they should sit nicely.

I would ask if anyone has tried 13x6 et0, but i'm guessing it wouldn't be a common size...