• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Converting Electric Windows To Manual

dch1950

Hi all,

given the problems I have had with my electric windows recently, I would like to know if the window lifter can be converted to manual lift with a door panel winder. Can you just remove the motor and fit a the winder instead?

Still hoping to get the electric motors replaced but it's best to have a plan B.

regards

Dave

buchanan84

yeh nice and easy, you need the whole window mechanism though

dch1950
yeh nice and easy, you need the whole window mechanism though

I'm not quite certain what you mean by the whole mechanism. I have windows with motors that are shot. I wish to remove the motors and put the lifter mechanism back in the door. What would I need (if anything) apart from the actual crank winder which mounts on the door.

Dave

pugit666

the window sits on an x shaped mechanism that pushes it up and down. at the moment your mechanism has a motor attached. this is all one unit, you need to unbolt this and replace it with a mechanism that accepts a handle. its a straight forward swap that wont take very long to do. just watch your knuckles on the insides of the door

dch1950
the window sits on an x shaped mechanism that pushes it up and down. at the moment your mechanism has a motor attached. this is all one unit, you need to unbolt this and replace it with a mechanism that accepts a handle. its a straight forward swap that wont take very long to do. just watch your knuckles on the insides of the door

Sorry chap,

you misunderstand what I'm saying. I have the lifters - minus there motors and am aware of that mechanism and how it works. What parts will I need to do the conversion. That is to say is there a straight swap. I think I realise that I need to replace with a mechanism that accepts a handle.

regards

Dave

buchanan84

the manual part of the mechanism is rivited in so it will be easier to replace the whole thing

windowreg.jpg

dch1950

the manual part of the mechanism is rivited in so it will be easier to replace the whole thing

Hi,

I get it. So no quick mod for my existing lifters - ah well.

Are the ones in your piccy Gti only parts or can any 3 door 205 (non-electric) lifters be used?

Thanx

Dave

j_turnell

Any 3 dr mechanisms can be used, just bolt in same as the leccy ones with 10mm nuts, easy enough to do.