• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
phil withers

My New Toy Has Arrived

phil withers

Well seeing as the Mi won't be finished for a month or so, I managed to idley buy another 205, to be honest I thought it'd go for more than it did and was pretty surprised to find out that I'd won it.

So last night I trekked down to Aldershot to pick the old girl up.

First part of the journey was fairly tentative along the M3 for 4 junctions watching all the dials like a hawk, the bonnet for steam,flames etc.

Round Newbury alarm bells started ringing about the rad fans working but no worrys.

A34 to Oxford in a thunderstorm, in a 205 great, but she still soldiered on and by the time I'd cleared Woodstcok it was clear and dry.

40 odd miles from home and the A3400 was empty, frapping fantastic !!

Gave the old girl a beating and she revelled in it.

Just hooned along but being a 1.6 not at stupid speeds, and really involving with a seized beam and knackered front dampers....

Pretty much bog stock 1.6 GTi, except for a silly back box but even that's not too bad.

Needs a drivers seat repair or replacement, front dampers, and a rear beam service. Other than that I intend to do absolutely nothing with her except for drive it and enjoy it.

3451506907_9ce43bfab7.jpg

3451507227_a2d2e26976.jpg

3451506563_9f56149f00_m.jpg

3451507501_d4942ec9a1.jpg

3452323364_596571dba1.jpg

Just what I wanted to be honest, a light relief from all the Mondeo drivng I've been doing lately. Yay for 205's !! ;D

chrisj21

Looks very nice and tidy, non sunroof too :blink:

Enjoy!!!

Chris

jonnygoodhand

Looks very nice!

The pin stripe is interesting. My Dad had 12 month old 1.9 Cherry Red back in 1992, that came with the exact same type of stripe. I thought they were standard for a the first few years!

jimistdt

Lovely looking motor. ;)

Funny about the pinstripe thing, mine has it, but I don't think its original.

You forgot to mention how much you 'won' it for :blink:

Miles

Nice find, The strip was a period extra as I remember them in the dealerships, even the old Keychain Imbolizer too

Ludi

Good choice,it look's very nice.

Tom Fenton

Looks well bob, nice and original, even the airbox has survived, bodywork looks straight too.

I still have the dampers that came off MOP when she came as a 1.6, they were recent replacements and look in decent order, unfortunately I threw the seats away a month or so ago, they were pretty tatty though.

phil withers

Cheers for the comments guys, think I'm going to leave the stripe on for a bit of late eighties love.

Paid £620 for her which i thought was ok for a non-sunroof shell ?

Off to introduce her to her new big brother now.....

3452431160_c7d9c38c14.jpg

willmounsey

She looks clean, first i've ever seen the stripe on the side before.

Wish you the best of luck with her mate :D

GLPoomobile

As Miles says, the stripe would have been an optional dealer extra. Seen them a few times but only on white ones. Don't like the pinstripe personally as it does reek of the 80s :( My old red 1.6 (H reg) had some stickers on that I think were an optional extra but seems to be rare as hens teeth. It was a black sticker down both sides covering the whole bottom half under the trim, but it was a graduated checkered pattern going from clear at the front to solid black by the time it reached the rear arches, and in front of the arches had 205 in clear (showing the red through) in the black section.

Edited by GLPoomobile

phil withers

Well I've now chnged the knackerd front suspension for the old Spax kit off the Mi, loads better now, will do a quick beam service Monday night after work and get myself a standard exhaust system.

Job done :(

DrSarty

You have the 205 glow I have. 2 fully working models: one a loon mobile and one just a nice standard 1.6. Enjoy.

P.S. What's with no filter on the ITBs? :unsure:

Tom Fenton

Work in progress, conversion not finished yet. The Mi16 car is half mine half Phils!

SurGie

Nice 205 there, iv got them side strips on my GT, will remove once i recon the whole rust bucket

this winter as long as the GTI recon goes ok this summer !!

All i need is more money :unsure:

Jrod
: My old red 1.6 (H reg) had some stickers on that I think were an optional extra but seems to be rare as hens teeth. It was a black sticker down both sides covering the whole bottom half under the trim, but it was a graduated checkered pattern going from clear at the front to solid black by the time it reached the rear arches, and in front of the arches had 205 in clear (showing the red through) in the black section.

Remember seeing some pictures andI really liked that.

Richie
As Miles says, the stripe would have been an optional dealer extra. Seen them a few times but only on white ones. Don't like the pinstripe personally as it does reek of the 80s ;) My old red 1.6 (H reg) had some stickers on that I think were an optional extra but seems to be rare as hens teeth. It was a black sticker down both sides covering the whole bottom half under the trim, but it was a graduated checkered pattern going from clear at the front to solid black by the time it reached the rear arches, and in front of the arches had 205 in clear (showing the red through) in the black section.

I had thoughts of replicating that design from your old 1.6 for my red 1.9. I work for a vinyl graphics company that do mainly interior partitioning work, but we have digital printing and plotters that would probably be able to do it.

As for the white 1.6, looks pretty good man, i dont have anything against the retro stripe. Seems to be straight 205.

GLPoomobile
I had thoughts of replicating that design from your old 1.6 for my red 1.9. I work for a vinyl graphics company that do mainly interior partitioning work, but we have digital printing and plotters that would probably be able to do it.

Sorry to the OP for continuing to intrude on the topic :lol: . Richie, I briefly looked in to replicating the stickers as I had to replace the drivers door, so lost that portion of it. It'd be great if you could do something, and I'd definately want a set of the stickers if I ever had another Cherry Red! GTI Si owns the car now (has an open topic at the moment reporting on his rust removal), and has mentioned getting a full respray. I know he really liked the decals when he first bought it, so he may be interested in getting them redone once it's resprayed.

Edited by GLPoomobile

jonnygoodhand

Here's a couple of pics of my Dad's complete with pinstripe, just before he sold it a couple of years ago (at the age of 62!). I think it really works with a Cherry Red, but that's probably down to it being parked on our drive for 14 years!

03.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

Edited by jonnygoodhand

brumster

Well what a small world. Pops up an ebay, and yours truly is now the proud owner of the car in the OP - thanks Phil :( she is, as you quite rightly said, a lovely little motor (all things considered). I actually remember spotting this post when you originally made it, obviously with no thought or idea that one day the car would land in my lap :rolleyes:

Some time next year she'll see a bit of a transformation, I hope - you can imagine into what :D

Tom Fenton

Do you know when I spoke to Phil last night I did wonder if it was you that had bought it- I remember you were on the lookout for a shell in white with no sunroof, he said roughly where you were from.

Good luck with it anyhow.

brumster
Do you know when I spoke to Phil last night I did wonder if it was you that had bought it- I remember you were on the lookout for a shell in white with no sunroof, he said roughly where you were from.

Good luck with it anyhow.

<chuckle> and he mentioned his friend who went halves on his other motor; I said "Oh, what's his name? Is he on that forum?". "Oh God, he's on it all the time" (or words to that effect) ;):lol: smiled when he said your name, though...

Still, comforting to see some history behind the car. Won't start on it until next year some time, so she'll just sit for a while, then it will be back down to the bare shell, full prep, probably a nice custom cage, complete respray and put it all back together as a real cock-on stage car.

Edited by brumster

Tom Fenton

Ha ha, sounds about right, the cheeky git!

brumster

Do you think Phil would like to see the state of G38 DPH now :) ?

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Tom Fenton

Absolutely, I know he looks on the forum now and again so I'll mention this to him.

toddydal

i worked in a peugeot dealership from 87-96 in the bodyshop and i fitted loads of them pinstripes they were the in thing at the time