• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cir287

Pulling Under Accereration / Braking

cir287

I realise this has been discussed a lot in the past but here goes anyway.

I am currently cleaning up a 1.6 that has been off the road for about 10 years, it has the problem of when accelerating it pulls right, back off it pulls left (at least I think its that way round).

I dropped the ball joints out of the front hubs and checked both the holes for roundness and the balljoints for wear. The hub holes are round, the ball joints seem fine tugging them by hand. I then tried tugging at the wishbones and giving them a few “taps” with a rubber hammer and they seem to remain pretty much intact.

I then checked the engine mounts and the subframe mountings and front wheel bearings, again all seem ok.

I realise it has to be one of these things, as there is obviously something moving the steering geometry when under load, question is, WHAT is moving ?

Is tugging at these things by hand going to tell me anything or do I need to go at it with a longer bar, I thought the symtoms were bad enough that something very obvious would show up.

I’m a bit dessip off with it at the moment, I don’t have the time to go at it that I would like and at the mo.

I suppose I’ll have to get a longer bar and start prying to see what moves, just looking to see if someone has been here before and offer an opinion.

The rear beam I suspect isint in great shape but I dont think this would have such a noticable effect especially under acceleration.

Thanks

Cir.

M@tt

wishbone bushes would be my guess.

Mine did exactly what you described when my bushes were shot/gone soft/split.

You'll need a pry bar and give them a bit of a lever to see what they're like. There's serval posts/threads on replacing them so have a quick search if it turns out to be them.

j_turnell

As matt suggests wishbone bushes more than likely. Just get someone to watch you pull off and stamp on the brakes, you'll more than likely see the wheel move side to side, alternatively get in there with a big bar and check for any movement.

Tom Fenton

Wishbone bushes as said is a common cause of this, however if your beam is shot this can also cause the symptoms, as when you accelerate and load the knackered trailing arm the play in it causes the car to veer one way and another when you lift off and unload it.

philfingers

steering rack moving? Make sure the little tube spacer things are there inside the front subframe that the rack mounting bolts go through

sounds like front bushes tho.

mine is the same with a couple of old 309 arms on it whilst my R/j'd ones get sorted out,

phil