• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PVFCpug

Yet Another Rear Beam Thread.

PVFCpug

Well, I started a strip down with the beam still in situ. to ascertain what the damage may be. Bit of camber showing and Graham (pugtorque) said to strip it down and post a few pics to see how bad/good things were.

Well with the car on stands and brakes etc stripped off, still no evidence of play in the arm. N/S would not come undone so have to check this next week as had to get the car off the stands by the end of the day.

Trailing arm came out suprisingly easy and was pleased to see the outer bearing still fully intact and free to rotate.

IMGP0488.jpg

Shaft has a little corrosion but no real pitting to speak of. What is evident on second picture cleaned off with a light wet and dry rub down. So all being well when I get a person in the know all the should be needed is bearing replacing and all seal, cups, screw's replacing. Cursed when everything was back together as I am a few splines out. Doh.

IMGP0485.jpg

IMGP0487.jpg

Would be glad of comments of wether I am right or not!

Miles

I'd replace both shafts as they are worn from those pic's, OK if you where just selling the car but if keeping then it's worth swaping them over

PVFCpug

£107 delivered from GSF. Anyone know a place near Stoke-on-Trent that can remove and refit new shafts to correct spec. Or would I be better off buying a 306 rear beam complete and fitting the 306 trailing arms?

Many opinions on here.

Also looking at the arms themselves at what point should you say that has had too much rust fall off it? Can they get fragile as they get older?

Miles

GSF are out of stk at the moment, I had 80% of them :wacko:

On the arm's I;ve never seen one rust thru as they are thick old thing's, 306 beams are worse than the 205 have ever been, I;ve yet to strip a 306 beam with 2 good shafts, The extra weight doesn;t help matters

marksorrento205

Ade any garage can press a shaft out and in for you, or I can if you want - they take 10 mins. 5176 17 is the part no for one from pug and they cost £93.07 each inc vat according to servicebox. They seem to have gone up in price.

BusEngineer

Hi Ade

Just seen your PM, ive been away all weekend

I used H&G rewinds in Hanley for pressing as we use them through work so i got it done for nowt :) as Mark says above most garages should be able to sort that for you

Glad to see your having a go at it yourself

PVFCpug

Anyone got any shafts?

Tom Fenton
GSF are out of stk at the moment, I had 80% of them :)

The other 20% are in my garage!!

jord294

i have new and second hand

i'd be expecting a good offer though :P:rolleyes:

pug_ham

Ade,

Good to see it came apart Ok on one side, looks like you caught it just before the bearing started to really die judging by the rust coloured grease in the outer bearing.

Like Miles etc have said, even though they don't look to bad if you are planning to keep the car then its better to replace them with new ones now & keep on top of them with a bi-annual strip & rebuild.

Was the nearside seized in & not moving or was it just you couldn't get it apart?

Graham.

marksorrento205

Ade how have you got on? Have you got it all back together yet? Bet it feels different with an ARB that works :ph34r:

Ryan
GSF are out of stk at the moment, I had 80% of them :ph34r:

They've got some more. I bought a pair on Friday.

Miles

Not many left as I just had 6 of them, should mean that there's 2 left now

BusEngineer

Im trying not to sound annoyed here as this forum has always been very useful for me both with information and parts supply

Has anybody yet offered Adrian a trailing arm shaft or pair of?? From their extensive stocks! Or is everyone just using this thread to brag about how many they have as oppossed to being useful?

There 'rant' over :lol:

Last Legend
Like Miles etc have said, even though they don't look to bad if you are planning to keep the car then its better to replace them with new ones now & keep on top of them with a bi-annual strip & rebuild.

Graham.

Clucking Bell,do you really think its worth removing the rear beam twice a year? must get mine off in that case as its never been apart!what do you remove/replace with a bi-annual removal?

welshpug

no need to remove the beam, just do it on the car, it's a bit easier off the car mind :lol:

Edited by welshpug

Ryan
Clucking Bell,do you really think its worth removing the rear beam twice a year? must get mine off in that case as its never been apart!what do you remove/replace with a bi-annual removal?

I think he meant to say biennial (every other year) instead of biannual. :lol:

Anthony
Clucking Bell,do you really think its worth removing the rear beam twice a year?

Bi-annually is once every two years, not twice a year

Every two years is argueably a bit excessive, but depends on how you use the car etc - the point is more to think of it as a service item that should be checked, seals replaced, and regreased every few years, rather than left until it's showing symptoms of death... by which time it's a bit late and rather more expensive and problematic to fix.

gti_al

If you have access to someone with some machining skills, you may be able to avoid replacing them. Nobody here stocks them aftermarket, and peugeot are stupidly expensive, so a friend (mechanical engineer) had one welded up and machined back. When this had shown no signs of wear after a lot of kms, he was confident that it was as good as, if not better than new.

He has done a few since then, including mine, and after lots of kms everything is fine. It cost a fraction of the cost of new parts, and didn't require pressing etc so was much more efficient.

Someone here was looking to start doing it, but it seems a good time to mention it. I can imagine it could be dodgy if done by a cowboy, but anyone with decent skills and equipment should be able to do it blindfolded

Miles

You can get a good idea on the beam condition if you check the alinement, Even when the beam's move freely and ddon;t show any sign's of failing this will show it up and help save you tube before it's too late

PVFCpug

Thanks to the help from peole on this forum I am well and truly sorted. MarkSorrento205, thanks for pressing in and out shafts and torsion bars, also for the replacement ARB. Pugtorque, thanks for the help in getting everything back in shape.

All round good community this forum!

If anyone else does need shafts there are a few left with GSF and the place in Germany www.lionparts.de offered to send genuine peugeot parts deliverd for 119 euro's deliverd payable through Paypal. If anyone wants the contact please pm me.

Edited by PVFCpug