• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dimma cakey

Rear Coil Over Conversion?

Guest dimma cakey

has anyone done a rear coilover conversion without turrets??

just curious to c if its possible,

was looking at my setup last night and wondered that if you completely removed the torsion bars to leave the swinging arms hanging, then used a set off shocks with the same mounting holes as the 205 shocks eg a set designed for a kit car or something, or would the angle that the shock sits cause a potential problem??

Tom Fenton

Do you mean using a coilover arrangement where the standard rear damper fits?

If so I see two problems

One- You would need a spring with a HUGE rate to get a sensible wheel rate

Two- You are putting all the suspension forces into a weedy pressed steel bracket that accepts the damper- I don't think this would be strong enough to take the loadings.

omega

have you looked at the tvr?

Batfink

speak to Eeyore on here (colin Satchell)

He has done a conversion for a 306 racecar. I think he kept the torsion bars then used coilovers for additional control though I never asked for details so you would have to speak to him.

Did it work well? theres another question!

Kev

Guest dimma cakey
Do you mean using a coilover arrangement where the standard rear damper fits?

If so I see two problems

One- You would need a spring with a HUGE rate to get a sensible wheel rate

Two- You are putting all the suspension forces into a weedy pressed steel bracket that accepts the damper- I don't think this would be strong enough to take the loadings.

yeah i was thinking you could fit them in the original position and strengthen the surrounding bracket/area and as for the springs a bit of trial and error with some different lb springs,

yeah the idea came from seeing some tvr coilovers that had the same mounting holes and looked about the right sort off length/travel

welshpug

I believe most conversions retain the torsion bars and use the coilover spring to add more spring rate, as Batfink mentioned, there is a 306 with a non-turreted conversion that Colin has carried out.

Most of the details are quite guarded so asking the man himself would be best :rolleyes:

thirdtimelucky

I looked at this sort of set up when doing my 4wd conversion. I cant find it now but there is a topic on this forum where someone had done something similar but he had to modify a lot of the original suspension components to get it to work and as Tom said the spring rate would have to be very high to compensate for the mounting positions. If you make a custom roll cage you can put mounting points on it, that makes the turret set up really simple. but its worth doing some home work on using the original shock points because if you can get it to work it would be a nice conversion.

Guest dimma cakey

hmmm right im going to hav a good look at it all tomorrow n c what the options might b,

just a quick question though, if i completely remove the torsion bars will it just be the case that the swing arms are able to move up and down freely, there wont be any other effect, ie there not uses to keep the whole beam falling apart,

thirdtimelucky
hmmm right im going to hav a good look at it all tomorrow n c what the options might b,

just a quick question though, if i completely remove the torsion bars will it just be the case that the swing arms are able to move up and down freely, there wont be any other effect, ie there not uses to keep the whole beam falling apart,

The arms will swing freely but not independently as you will need to put the anti-roll bar back in to hold it all together.

You may want to look into bracing the arms to the torsion tube to stop some of the flex in the shafts. the 206 gti and sw have a simular setup.

omega
I looked at this sort of set up when doing my 4wd conversion. I cant find it now but there is a topic on this forum where someone had done something similar but he had to modify a lot of the original suspension components to get it to work and as Tom said the spring rate would have to be very high to compensate for the mounting positions. If you make a custom roll cage you can put mounting points on it, that makes the turret set up really simple. but its worth doing some home work on using the original shock points because if you can get it to work it would be a nice conversion.

was it hilgie on his pick up conversion?

thirdtimelucky
was it hilgie on his pick up conversion?

pickup conversion, dosnt ring any bells, ill have a look later to see if i can find it.

omega
I suspect he means Hilgie's CTI/Speedster project, I'm not sure how he will feel about it being called a pickup :S

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=65352&hl=

I don't think it has coilover rear suspension though...?

oops sorry been a long time since i saw it but if you look on page 3 of this you will see where the coilover was mentioned

JimLad

I vaguely remember an article in CCC years ago about a 750MC Hot Hatch racer that used coilovers on the rear suspension.

Guest Dutch309Racespec

I'm curently busy with my rear coilover conversion.. For my 309gti 16v

But i'm changing everything, because my axle was really damaged due to it's age.. :blush:

I'm still going to use the original inner bearings but im using SKF outer bearing in te size of 55x45x20. So i'm changing the inner shafts and the x-ross tube as i called it.. :angry: I'm going to reinforce the brackets so it fits between the plates. But i'm lowering the mounting point off it too get a different angle for the shock to fit the springs.. I'll post some pictures as soon as i finished!

Regards,

Julian