• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richors

Rear Caliper Problem

richors

Hi - I have just fitted a new caliper on rear passenger side on my 1.9gti and for some reason it is not sitting central meaning the left hand pad will not fit and there is a large gap between disc and piston.

Normally i can get some movement when changing pads to compensate but there is no movement on the replacement caliper.

Anyone else had this or any ideas on what the problem is?

cheers

Cloverleaf

So the caliper wont slide? You're aware they should slide freely right, as they're single piston 'sliding' calipers?

(assuming its a std caliper you've fitted)

richors

Its a standard rear caliper.

I understand how the fronts do that but not the rear?

Could something on the replacement one be missing?

HERMAN

Where the whole caliper is bolted on (two bolts) the whole of the caliper should slide on the two tubes that the bolts go through. If these slides are seized then the caliper my be stuck in the wrong position. Failing that you might want to take a picture of it.

Regards

Neil

richors

It might be something like that then - the caliper moves back and forth freely in the two tubes but once the two bolts are tightened up there is no movement at all so i am about 2 or 3mm away from getting the pad in.

Should the tubes move slightly?

thirdtimelucky
It might be something like that then - the caliper moves back and forth freely in the two tubes but once the two bolts are tightened up there is no movement at all so i am about 2 or 3mm away from getting the pad in.

Should the tubes move slightly?

the tubes shouldnt move when the bolts are done up. make sure the caliper is on there straight and the brace between the bolts is in place. the caliper should move on the sliders with the bolts tight about an inch when there is no disk or pads. have a look at the other side for reference.

Edited by thirdtimelucky

richors

Just taken it off again and sliders are solid.

Thanks for the help all - didn't realise how the tubes worked as never had the problem before.

cheers