• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Arb Bushes Fitted With A 'gap'

matty_gti

I’ve already had a search but couldn’t find anyone with the same problem.

I’ve just been getting the subframe built up to get it bolted onto the car when it came to puting the ARB on. the ARB is 17mm and so are the bushes (I’ve measured both) but when I put them on and tighten them up the ends of the bushes don't touch when tightened and has left a gap about 2-3mm. The ARB and sub frame have been powder coated but I’ve rubbed both down slightly to allow the bushes to fit snugly but still no luck.

Cheers.

hengti

were the clamps hard work to do up? i think the bushes are designed to be 'compressed' (as much as poly will compress anyway) around the bar, primarily at the mid point of the clamping bracket. as ever, there may be more to it than i've written

additional thought - the bushes are presumably moulded for the locating bump on the bar?

Edited by hengti

matty_gti
were the clamps hard work to do up? i think the bushes are designed to be 'compressed' (as much as poly will compress anyway) around the bar, primarily at the mid point of the clamping bracket. as ever, there may be more to it than i've written

additional thought - the bushes are presumably moulded for the locating bump on the bar?

Not really, they tightened up easily but the gap didn't really compress.

Yeah I've located both bushes correctly. Blue = no bump, Orange = bump. :rolleyes:

Edited by matty_gti

pug_ham

The paint on the subframe shouldn't matter but you want the paint off the arb inside the bushes imo.

I've just checked a front subframe / arb I have downstairs & there is a small gap between the edges on the bushes when fitted but not 2-3mm although these bushes are an un-known age but I'm expecting they are as old as the subframe / car they came off which is at least 18 years.

Graham.

matty_gti

Yeah one orange and one blue. I had a look at another sub frame I had and ARB but there was no gap present so was left scratching my head.

Ive removed alot of the paint so you can see bits of metal showing through but theres still a gap.

hengti

is there any play in the bushes if you lever the bar? also, i think you'd expect to be able to turn the bar within the bushes (obv. with the links disconnected), but it shouldn't be loose - shouldn't drop under its own weight, etc

matty_gti
is there any play in the bushes if you lever the bar? also, i think you'd expect to be able to turn the bar within the bushes (obv. with the links disconnected), but it shouldn't be loose - shouldn't drop under its own weight, etc

There as tight as anything, I can move the bar with a bit of force and theres no play in the bushes. Ill have another crack at them and see.