• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Greetings Earth-lings

eob

Greetings!

Just getting a few final issues on my Mi16 sorted. The front wiper motor, lights, etc aren't getting the earth they need (wipers only click but don't work, lights come on dimly, and the dash guages all shoot up when you turn stuff on indicating a ground loop), shorting in an earth to a major component like the wiper instantly cures all the problems.

I'm just wondering where in the car the lights, wipers and interior fan are earthed because it's clearly the root of my problems :)

Thanks!

Eamonn

CosKev

Pretty sure the lights earth is behind the headlights on both sides,bolted to inner wings.

Think theres also an earth block on underside of steering column by back of ign barrel,but not sure what that earths :)

For your other earth points follow your earth cable off the battery!!!! :D

Anthony

The body earth comes off the battery to the passenger side wing/turret, where the ignition amp is usually mounted, and I'd suspect that's amiss if you're getting problems with various circuits throughout the car.

eob

Nah, it's just the actual interior circuits. Splice an earth to the wiper motor on the front and it all works beautifully, but I don't think an earth back feeding from the wiper motor to the interior fan, etc, is a good idea :D

Have earthed the battery to the suspension turrets with some spare cable too just to make sure :)

Eamonn

grandos

Anthony, could you post a picture of how your earth from the battery looks, cause my car is different (incorrect?). Mine comes from the battery and mounts straight the 13mm bolt (stud) on top of the gearbox.

eob

Should also go to the inner wing.

grandos

Straight from the battery terminal to the alloy plate bolted on the inner wing?

eob

Eh.... two cables come from my battery terminal, one goes to the inner wing, the other goes to the gbox.

grandos

Sorry wasn't making myself clear, of the two cables that come off the battery terminal on your car, where on the inner wing does it mount to?

By this I meant the alloy plate (holds the coil and ignition amp etc) which is mounted on the inner wing. Does it mount on to this?

eob

Yes, it goes there.

What I need to know is where is the earth for the wiper motor? Where does the second pin, the earth, on the wiper motor, go to. This is the source of all my problems. Everything else works fine.

grandos

I'll have a look tomorrow for you when I going to work on my car. (at missus' parents house)

eob

No need :) I just need to grab a wiring diagram from somewhere. Will try and find one now. With the wiper motor disconnected, connect an earth to pin two and everything works beautifully, I've tried the earth block underneath the steering wheel, and the earth block behind the head lights and neither are the culprit. So I just need to know where the earth on the wiper motor goes to as that's the obvious culprit :D

Just had a look at the earth points on the wiring diagram. According to the diagram the earth from the wiper motor is independent (!) which isn't my car. Secondly, it shows four major earth 'blocks', I'm only aware of three in the front of the car, one underneath the steering wheel, and one per headlight?

Edited by eob

CosKev
No need :D I just need to grab a wiring diagram from somewhere. Will try and find one now. With the wiper motor disconnected, connect an earth to pin two and everything works beautifully, I've tried the earth block underneath the steering wheel, and the earth block behind the head lights and neither are the culprit. So I just need to know where the earth on the wiper motor goes to as that's the obvious culprit :)

Just had a look at the earth points on the wiring diagram. According to the diagram the earth from the wiper motor is independent (!) which isn't my car. Secondly, it shows four major earth 'blocks', I'm only aware of three in the front of the car, one underneath the steering wheel, and one per headlight?

I would just splice into the wire to pin 2 and put a new earth to it :)

If the earths are the same as the 309 your 4th block is behind the rear pass side light cluster inside the quarter panel ;)

Wouldn't think the wiper motor would earth at rear of car,but it could do knowing the French! :D

Edited by CosKev

grandos

I had a look today and without stripping the entire car down, I followed it from the moter through the bulkhead into the main wiring harness.

Without some serious stripping out I could not locate where it went to from there.

Is there a earth point on the passenger side of the car near the fuse board? I thought there was one to the left of the fuse board as you face it from the glove box on the inner wing/bulkhead. Could be wrong though.

eob

Found the issue :rolleyes:

While doing the Mi16 conversion, I actually thought the earth from the 7 pin connector actually fed earth to the engine bay. In reality, it actually feeds earth back into the instrument cluster/fan/wiper motor etc. As soon as I earthed it, all was well.

Then my starter motor failed.

:lol: