• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Gear Stick Position

skinner2k3

I am pretty sure my gear stick sits to far back. For instance with the hand brake on you couldnt put the gearbox in 4th.

Can this be adjusted to move the stick forward?

Its all standard under there bar a Grifiths Eng short shifter thingy.

Ta muchly

Edited by skinner2k3

Anthony

The length of the two gear rods in the engine bay sets the position of the gearstick - from memory, if the longer of the two rods is too long, then it moves the gearlever back excessively. The rods are threaded so there's a degree of adjustment - I think Haynes gives some figures for how long they're suppose to be, but I've never checked how accurate that is.

Miles

Remove the rods and get someone to hold the gearstick central and adjust the rods to suit, There is a Pre-set length but it's rarely right

skinner2k3

Thank you both very much.

I will have a good look at them and may be contacting you Miles regarding one of your kits.

Cheers again

Super Josh
I will have a good look at them and may be contacting you Miles regarding one of your kits.

Good advice there from Miles on adjusting them 'in situ' and you won't go far wrong with one of his kits either :(

Josh

skinner2k3

Well I had a look over the weekend and it turned out that the Griffiths Eng short shift was to blame. It was no longer sitting straight on the bracket.

Undid the bolts, straightened it up, tightened the bolts back up and hey presto, fixed......but for how long I dont know. Will keep an eye on it.

Miles

I'd take it off as they are always doing this, I;ve removed a few with good comments on how good the gearchange is :rolleyes:

The other option is to shorten the shorter side of the arm/ball as this has trhe same effect without any issues like above

Baz

Those GE ones are absolute toffee! Home made ones are simple and effective as Miles says. I have a few still sitting around spare too if need be Ben! :rolleyes:

skinner2k3

It hasnt exactly filled me with confidence. I must admit when I fitted it I was suprised to see there was sod all to stop it rotating.

I did fit it a couple of years ago, so it has taken a while to work its way out of line. If anything it makes a good tool to find your prefered position to then weld a permanent ball to!

Cheers Baz, I dare say it will take me forever to get round to removing it :rolleyes: Please PM me a price for one of those anyway if you dont mind.

Cheers