• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
floodys

Omex 500

floodys

Hi, i have a omex 500 i have got hold of, it hasnt got the lead to coonect to the laptop, is it a usb-rs232 lead i need? if so i will buy one from e bay, also, for anyone who has one of these? what is it for and can it/worth fitting to a standad 1.98v gti? if not i may sell it on.

Miles

It's just a std RS232 lead, well just 3 pins are used for the comm's.

It's a old ECU now but worth fitting if you can afford to, You'll need a flywheel (really), Late type Stat housing with Coil Pack and you can then ditch the AFM, Dizzy, Amp etc, Should see a gain of around 10bhp and a nice improvement in torque if mapped correctly.

floodys

the end that go's to the omex is the RS232 bit, how do you connect it to laptop then> i see you can get usb-RS232, is that what i would need? also, when you say flywheel, do you mean a special/different one because evey car has a "flywheel"?? i had a e mail from omex themselves and it said

The ECU will work with later 205 GTi’s that have a flywheel trigger for engine speed of 60-2 teeth. It will not work with earlier distributor triggered engines. You have the option of fitting either the parts from a later engine or fitting an external trigger wheel on the crank pulley. You also need to check the throttle position sensor as this needs to be a potentiometer rather than a switch. Again, fit parts from a later engine if yours is a switch.

what do's that all mean? just want someunderstanding!!

On a final note, when you sai dabout losing the dizzy etc i understand that, but if i have standad injection and get rid of AFM do you just bolt air filter straight to the throttle body??? lol, cheers

welshpug

a flywheel off an XU7JP4 will fit straight in there with the standard gti clutch and have the relevant 60-2 timing teeth pattern for a TDC sensor, something that the jetronic flywheels don't have.

jetronic uses a throttle "switch" this you need to change for a sensor/potentiometer which gives a variable signal dependent on throttle position rather than an on/off/wot signal.

yes you could just bolt the filter onto the throttle body, you'll have to make the air temperature sensor fit into the intake manifold or throttle body then.

another option instead of that is to use the original airbox and the intake pipe from a 1.9 ZX volcane, it has a port for the temperature sensor and fits nicely around the coilpack.

basically have a look at what Alex has done to the ignition side of his engine, you'll be doing the same but with some injectors :)

boombang

As Mei said, come have a look at mine and will explain it to you.

Also can plug into my car, give it some power and make sure it works right if you want?

Just need my laptop back from my brother.

There are a few USB adaptors about, but they are all a touch tempremental.

Also worth noting that the Omex itself can be a pain to connect to and a bit odd to look at at first - but is a pretty friendly system once you're started (IMHO!)

• Like 1