• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Painting Brake Servos

djinuk

Noticed a lot of folks have painted brake servos black etc to help tidy up the bay. Just wondering what paint they are using and what kind of prep work.

Thanks

Anthony

Just used brush-on Hammerite when I did mine, and it's still looking reasonable over 20k miles later. No prep other than a quick wipe with some degreaser.

GLPoomobile

I used a wire brush attachment on a drill to clean the old paint off of mine, then cleaned it with white spirit and then brushed on black Hammerite. Looked OK, until I spilled the brake fluid when refilling and now I've got a line of stripped and bubbled paint down the center of the servo :)

Gentrix

I tried the hammerite route and wasnt pleased with the finish - when got a second spare I had kicking around - ripped it apart and send it for podercoating.

Reassambling was a bit of a pita - but I got there in the end. Difference between both is night and day.

tools-336.jpg

podercoating

vs. Hammerite

tools196.jpg

andi

miamichris

I got mine sandblasted to take the rust off then primed and sprayed it with semi-matt black 2pack paint my dad gave me while I was doing a load of other parts. Came up really well so that worked for me!

SurGie

Go to a metal finishers place, they should sort you out with powder coating...

Phil H

Wire brush down with a drill attachment and spray with satin black for the original appearance.

ALEX

I've gone right off powder coating, I thought it would last longer than paint.. It doesn't.

I did most parts in the bay on mine in 2004, everything looks as bad now as it did before I had them done.

It even caused my sump to rust through as water got trapped between the coating.

The longest lasting coating is probably hot dip galv, but it doesn't look as pretty, but you could paint over the top it also can warp thin stuff out of shape with the heat.

Nickle or Zinc electroplating is what finish I'll be doing on my CTi restoration, lasts longer than Powdercoating and factory too.

Edited by ALEX

Redtop

I did mine with my own sandblaster, [a fine grade of grit] the etch primed it, then ordinary high build primer, flattened back to a decent smoothness then a few coats of satin black paint. The best satin finish paint ive used is the halfords one although it is dear. Pictures of mine is in my thread in the members car works.

Im not a big fan of powdercoating although it is nice on some things like airboxes etc. Don't like it on suspension as it chips easily and not worth it, unless it's a show car/trailor queen type car.