• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rom

Does This Look About Right

Rom

Right, been a few years since i built a beam. Just want to check this seal looks ok. I know its a crap pic, i really must learn how to use this phone properly.

The red line is where i measured the 0.05mm. Its a little tricky to get in, but i think more becuase of how flimsy the feeler is, rather than its too tight.

post-7946-1238866577_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edit : thickend line so you can actually see it :lol:

Edited by Rom

yorkshirekowboy

yes thats right, i did my 0.05mm gap while the beam was on the car. Put the 0.05mm gauage between the cup seal and cup on arm, knock the trialing arm into the tube, untighten the long stud until the inner bit of the stud touchs the screw cup, then tighen the nut with 13mm spanner. then when your happy remove the feeler guage.

Rom

Cheers. Just wanted to be sure :lol:

Ill probably get it on the car tommorrow. Im hoping the ride height will be fine and i wont need to have it apart again :D

Being the type of seal it is, its hard to tell exactly how to do it. As you can still get the gauge in when its quite far in. I knocked the shaft out until there was a gap between the cup and the seal, then put the gauge in, knocked it in till i was happy. The rechecked it after it was all tightend up.

yorkshirekowboy
Cheers. Just wanted to be sure :lol:

Ill probably get it on the car tommorrow. Im hoping the ride height will be fine and i wont need to have it apart again :D

Being the type of seal it is, its hard to tell exactly how to do it. As you can still get the gauge in when its quite far in. I knocked the shaft out until there was a gap between the cup and the seal, then put the gauge in, knocked it in till i was happy. The rechecked it after it was all tightend up.

to be honest in me experience even if the seal is correctly seated they still let in water etc so your best of replacing the seals again in roughly 2 years or so. I had grease between my seals and cup seal for when the arms were inserted into the tube, left the grease on the seal to see if it will help stop water getting in.

Rom

Aye, i know what you mean. Water will find its way in some where :lol:

Im going to replace the seals on my old beam before i sell it. So ill see what condition its in after about 2.5 yrs.

MerlinGTI

Should of gone for the MAC spanners insted of the snap on ones Rom :D The only thing MAC sells that better hehe

Sexy beam BTW :lol:

Rom

Lol.

Our Mac man dont come round anymore, stopped over a year ago. Dunno why as we did buy things.

I have loads of spanners, but the Flank Drives are amoung my faves. Got 2-3 of most sizes, Flank, ratchet, stubby, racthet stubby etc etc. I only replace missing ones now, was spending a fourtune on tools for the sake of it.

The beams been powder coated. Put it together in friday lunch time. Just got to swap the mounts, calipers etc over and its ready to go on. Ill post up some pics when its done, it does look nice, almost too nice to use :D

My whole cars getting like that :lol:

pugdamo
Lol.

Our Mac man dont come round anymore, stopped over a year ago. Dunno why as we did buy things.

I have loads of spanners, but the Flank Drives are amoung my faves. Got 2-3 of most sizes, Flank, ratchet, stubby, racthet stubby etc etc. I only replace missing ones now, was spending a fourtune on tools for the sake of it.

The beams been powder coated. Put it together in friday lunch time. Just got to swap the mounts, calipers etc over and its ready to go on. Ill post up some pics when its done, it does look nice, almost too nice to use :blink:

My whole cars getting like that :lol:

Jumping in on your thread,im with you on the flank drives but i noticed the high leverage Snap-On spanners,there pretty good aswell,saves putting too much effort in :D

MerlinGTI

MAC Edge > Flankdrive :D I like the squareness of the shafts as well. Saying this snappy spanners do seem to require less effort. (strangely, they are the same length as the MAC ones)

Our MAC man has been MIA for months too. Not that im complaining I owe him money :P

I hear you on the buying tools for the sake of it! its addictive :D they are shiney and you get them before you have to pay !

th_DSCF0033.jpg

th_DSCF0037.jpg

Post some piccies of your car up Rom, the snippets ive seen in various threads look great :)

Edited by MerlinGTI

Rom

Lol

I see your toolbox, and raise you !

post-7946-1238920861_thumb.jpg

The flank drives come in different lengths, mine are the longer ones. Is that high leverage ? I just like longer spanners.

Anyway, off to work now, to get that beam fitted etc. Ill try and grab some pics.

MerlinGTI
Lol

I see your toolbox, and raise you !

ok you win! :)

Rom

Not at 205s today apparently :P

Didnt get the beam on. Couldnt get the mounts off the old beam.

Got the tank back in, fuel lines, new brake lines etc though. So not a completely wasted day. Guess ill have to include the Gp A mounts with the beam when i sell it :)