• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TT205

Rippthrough's Wavy Lightweight Discs

Rippthrough
So they'd work fine with my Pagid RS4-2's then :) Got a price for a 247mm disc ....or should i go for a 266mm

£110 for the 247's, £120 for 266's and 283's, extra machining time/tool wear cost for the bigger discs, hence the extra.

swordfish210

Thanks, i'll have a muse about them.

Dj_mini

Have they been tested at high speed yet ie suitable for circuit racing and the extra heat created?

Cheers Dan

Rippthrough
Have they been tested at high speed yet ie suitable for circuit racing and the extra heat created?

Cheers Dan

Hi Dan, the thermal capacity is obviously reduced slightly, but the discs pump air more effectively so although they will peak at higher temperatures, they don't 'build up' heat as much as normally expected, as they shed more heat between braking areas.

On the discs which Dave has, the difference in pad temperature peaks isn't much as the air pumped across the pad surface keeps the pads average temperature itself similar to normal discs, even though the disc is running higher peak temperatures at the interface.

On the 'sprint' type discs like the 266's I'm running, which are more extreme in shape, it's wise to step up to a slightly harder pad, the discs are a decent spec. ductile iron and will take running temperatures of 650-700 degrees with no trouble, and peak surface temperatures even higher for short periods, and even though you'll be running a harder pad, the extra leading edges of the disc and the improved bite offered means pads previously useless cold aren't as much of an issue anyway.

We've been using these on the rally cars for decades, including high speed french events with lots of tarmac (and on Foucarts mental V12 powered 205gti), and recent jaunts by the Fouquet to Cadwell, Curborough and Oulton Park we've not had any glimmer of trouble with disc temperatures (1180kg withput driver/codriver, 380bhp, sequential box and, in the case of Oulton, stopping from 120mph for virtually every corner).

Obviously, if you are struggling massively with brake heat capacity under isolated stops, then these are not for you, no two ways about that, but if it's repeated heat buildup you are suffering with, or pad temperatures because you can't run a harder pad on a road/track car, or you just want more pad 'bite' (and better acceleration, steering, ride and handling along the way :) ) well they may be for you.

They also give a very slight cadence braking effect, which you'll probably find hard to detect, even looking for it, but you should find it easier to hold the car on the edge of lockup than normal as a result.

I have put a lot of work into the calculations and had them tested on a brake dyno setup before I was happy with them for the Peugeot discs, which is why I eventually ended up with 2 designs according to use, rather than a single compromised disc.

Hope that helps, anything else, ask away. B)

-Phillip

edit: extra bonus - they break up the harmonics that create brake squeal

Edited by Rippthrough

pug_ham
Yep, the fixtures for the 266mm discs are done, need to know which disc you are using though as there are 2 different offsets available.

Currently the 205 has 306 spec 266mm ATE discs & the 306 has standard 266mm discs afaik which I assume will be the same as those on the 205 atm.

Graham.

Rippthrough

Ok, I'm on the 307 discs which are on the larger 34mm offset you see, it's not a problem, just need some smaller anti-chatter shims for the fixture.

Edited by Rippthrough