• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Improved Gear Rods

ifcho

Hi,

I am looking at ways to improve the gear rod system on my track car, as it is very annoying to have a rod pop out in the middle of a race.

I found the following socket joint, which looks good for this purpose:

RAS.gif

The question is has someone used such connections?

Would they be up to the job?

If not, I guess I will go to the rose joint way:

SFE.gif

But I prefer the first type, as it is much easier to fit

Edited by ifcho

welshpug

yes, Miles does a set of gear linkages using these :lol:

James_R

They look similar to the items pug racing use on their uprated rods. For a pure racing application I'd have to say the RJ's are the better option, is something was fitted by popping it on (compared to sliding it and fixing with a nylok) there's always a risk it can pop out again.

maintaince is about the same aswell ( I use RJ's on my linkage)

ifcho

Well, RJ it is then :D

Now the only problem that is left is sourcing them in BG.

What brands of bearings do you use? I only found SKF ones, and the price was too high.

Ryan
They look similar to the items pug racing use on their uprated rods. For a pure racing application I'd have to say the RJ's are the better option, is something was fitted by popping it on (compared to sliding it and fixing with a nylok) there's always a risk it can pop out again.

The ball joints can't pop out, they have a wire retaining clip to prevent it.

James_R

by virtue of the fact they pop on, they must be bale to pop off again, yes the retaining clip is there, but reduce the list of things that can fail on you I wouldn't trust it over an RJ. And it introduces more play in to the set up, and the faster you make the shift throw the more sensitive it is to play.

welshpug

theres 2 clips, one spring clip that pops over the ball, as well as the additional retaining pin, so they cannot come off.

Miles

I've never had one pop off, they are a pain with just the centre clip but for 100% zero play then the rose joints cannot be beaten,

Sign in to follow this