• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey sprocket

G'box Mount/ Battery Tray Unit

davey sprocket

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow but I really need better access around the battery tray area to treat some rust and remedy some crappy old repairs in that area.

Is it possible to get the battery tray out without removing the engine/ box?? I can see I can undo the mount itself and the two bolts on the top of the tray but the two others pointing outwards into the chassis rail look like they'll be inaccessible.

Rob Turbo

It can be done, put a jack under the gearbox and loosen the mount, lower the 'box a bit, then you can get the bolts with a socket (I use a halfords pro long reach 13mm socket and the short extension)

matty_gti

As above, just a bit of a fiddle to get the bolts underneath undone and be carfull not to put to much stress on the lower mount when lowering.

hengti

in addition to the bolts, they're also bonded on with some sort of panel adhesive - can require a fair old amount of force to break this seal, which may be a consideration if you've weakened, corroded metal in that area (?)

j_turnell

13mm rachet spanner is the best tool for the job on the two that bolt to the side of the chassis rail, its pretty easy to change.

davey sprocket

Thanks all, sound like it should be possible with a bit of patience then!

I hadn't thought of giving myself clearance by dropping the box a bit, Nice one!!