• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Subby

How Low Does This Look

Subby

Hi !

Right, after driving my 1.9 for a while a few years ago, it got put aside and neglected, ran out of tax/mot and now needs quite a bit of work.

Ive finally decided to put it all back to standard. ( it was bought lowered )

Basically ive bought standard front shocks, and looking to de-lower the rear next weekend.

Ive been reading threads all morning, and realised that it is better to measure and completely take the torsion bar out, however, i think that its probaly been lowered on the spline method (due to some of the other mods done) , so do you think raising it 2 splines should look fairly standard ?

Opinions :(

DSC00827Medium.jpg

DSC00835Medium.jpg

thankyou!

platty

Two looks about right.

It looks like the height mine was at with 300mm between shock mounts, although that was on a 309 beam.

Mark205

Looks nice low, tidy example.

welshpug

wayy to low for my liking, it'd need beefy springs and torsion bars for it to not be bottoming out everywhere.

jimistdt

Thats been dropped about 50mm in my eyes.

GLPoomobile

I's say it looks about -60mm. Probably using those crappy Pi springs that Ecosse sell.

Subby

yea, its prob been lowered on rubbish springs. I just want it as peugeot intended it to be, as at the moment the ride is horrible, and doesnt handle anywhere near as good as my old mi did.

Subby
I's say it looks about -60mm. Probably using those crappy Pi springs that Ecosse sell.

is 60mm roughly 2 splines ?

welshpug

done properly 2 splines is about 6mm :D done the way most cowboys do it 60mm is about 2 "clicks"

AKA on the bumpstops...

pugdamo

That is the same height as mine,i did it myself and it was one spline mate

pugdamo
done properly 2 splines is about 6mm :D done the way most cowboys do it 60mm is about 2 "clicks"

AKA on the bumpstops...

I know wew have had disagreements on this lowering before but when i lower it the "bodge" way 2splines is 100mm the top of the trye is in the arch and is sat permanently on the bump stops,i always pre warn people before i do it that 2splines is too low,it will be on the bump stops,will probably rub,and also looks crap

Subby

im pretty sure the tyre is in the arch when its on the flat, so ill try 2 splines i think.

maturin23

If it's been sitting for a while I'd take this as an opportunity to strip the beam and check the bearings/shaft surface, regrease it and put new seals in.

Then when you put is together again you can use a dummy shock (I just use a piece of wood with holes drilled in the right places) to get the height right.

It's not a big job really unless everything is corroded/seized, and then you'll need to do it anyway.

Rom

Looks too low imo.

Mine was similar, i liked it for a while, but went off it ^_^

And as said, if its not been done, worth checking the beam while your there.

buster205
Looks too low imo.

Mine was similar, i liked it for a while, but went off it ^_^

And as said, if its not been done, worth checking the beam while your there.

looks great that low, but i think too low ruins the handling on anything other than smooth surfaces (well going off my last 1.6 anyway)

Ste

jord294

to set at near std ride height on the rear, the distance between shock absober mounting points should be around 320mm ^_^

Ludi

Too low for me,but it looks very nice.

Pugnut

All this talk of splines makes me cringe as 99% of the time 1 spline each side results in different ride heights each side.

remove the torsion bar completely, make a dummy shock with the holes the desired distance apart (a piece of wood with 2 holes does the trick), slot back in and rotate the torsion bar until it fits, refit everything. This provides infinite and even adjustment.

keeping the bar still attached at one end and going '1 spline' is wrong wrong wrong.

pugdamo
All this talk of splines makes me cringe as 99% of the time 1 spline each side results in different ride heights each side.

remove the torsion bar completely, make a dummy shock with the holes the desired distance apart (a piece of wood with 2 holes does the trick), slot back in and rotate the torsion bar until it fits, refit everything. This provides infinite and even adjustment.

keeping the bar still attached at one end and going '1 spline' is wrong wrong wrong.

Still dont get how it can be wrong,the amount of splines is different from one side of the bar to the other,so as long as you remove the furthest away end of the torsion bar for the side your lowering(if that makes sense)then how can it be different heights?? Mine is level,and so are all the others i have done,and i have lowered some for some real fussy people,with no complaints,and have even done a couple when i was working for a Citroen main dealer,and if they could find a way to get there money back they would complain straight away.

I agree that that way gives you more levels of adjusment,but im happy with the way i do it,never get any problem with seized torsion bars,they all come apart,and the height of mine is perfect for me,both sides the same height and also the sill lip is nice and level,front the same height as the back.

Its just a different a different method.

Pugnut
Still dont get how it can be wrong,the amount of splines is different from one side of the bar to the other,so as long as you remove the furthest away end of the torsion bar for the side your lowering(if that makes sense)then how can it be different heights?? Mine is level,and so are all the others i have done,and i have lowered some for some real fussy people,with no complaints,and have even done a couple when i was working for a Citroen main dealer,and if they could find a way to get there money back they would complain straight away.

I agree that that way gives you more levels of adjusment,but im happy with the way i do it,never get any problem with seized torsion bars,they all come apart,and the height of mine is perfect for me,both sides the same height and also the sill lip is nice and level,front the same height as the back.

Its just a different a different method.

true, but not everyone knows there are different amounts of splines each end. Also 1 spline is too near the bumpstops for the roads round here.

Maybe its a bit ott saying it's the wrong way , but there are much better ways.

NeilGTi85

When I brought my first S16 it was lowerd by 60mm (Apparently by Spoox) and this is what it looked like...

th_DSC00750.jpg

th_DSC00749.jpg

th_DSC00752.jpg

Far to low, eventully it rubbed a hole in the fuel pipe under the arch :unsure:

Subby

do you know how many splines that was by any chance ?

Pugnut
do you know how many splines that was by any chance ?

looks like 2 . doesn't matter though because its on the bump stops . be just as well removing the torsion bars completely B)

NeilGTi85

I'm not sure tbh, proberbly 2 splines. (Dan Taylor will know because he replaced it with a decent one!). It was not sitting on the bump stop's because there was not any! :lol: Was very close though and ground out over anything

Subby

Right...

Heres the outcome of this mornings work.

Does this ride height look standard to you? I think its come out ok. (excuse the state of it)

DSCF0012Medium.jpg

DSCF0013Medium.jpg

DSCF0014Medium.jpg

It hasnt been driven yet, so i think the front looks a bit high but hopefully it should settle.

Thanks

Edited by Subby