• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Gti6 Oil Temp Sensor In A 205, Running Cool With Mocal Stat And Cooler

philfingers

I have a GTi6 sump on my Mi16 in my 205. Using the Gti6 oil temp sender. I have a mocal cooler and oil stat in the sandwich plate. On a 40 mile run on the motorway at 4300rpm (70 mph in 5th with 4.4 diff) it takes an age to get warm, eventually reaching the dizzy heights of just shy of the 3rd (slightly thicker) line. Even after a good booting it doens't get any warmer. The stat was all new. I was beginning to wonder if the GTi6 gives a different resistance to the 205 one and it just 'looks' like it's cool.

Also the engine takes 6.8ltrs of oil so it's to be expected that it takes a while to warm up

Anyone any experience of the mocal stat?

Phil

Garry

I have found that the stat never fully closes and leaks a little oil through to the cooler.

I am surprised you are getting as much heat as you are, mine would barely register on the gauge.

To get the temperature up I put some cardboard over the cooler for road use.

rapidcossie

I run a mocal with no stat.

Its fitted behind the number plate and on a run on the motorway it gets to the second line on the gauge.

When on track I remove the plate and it runs about 3rd or 4th line when driven hard.

philfingers

thanks guys. Not good if the cooler stat doesn't do what it's supposed to. Any idea if a Gti6 temp sensor gives different resistantances to an 8v one at similar temperature?

Garry

Yeah, I was a bit miffed when I found the stat didn't really do its job. I even tried a separate stand alone stat aswell and it did the same thing! But the easy remedy is to cover the cooler or at least restrict the air flow.

I don't think the readings are any differnt from the sensor, my readings tie in with what others have reported from track use.

RonnieG

Hi Phil - I'm not running with a Mocal but otherwise a similar set-up as yours with an approx 6.8 Ltr oil capacity with my Gti6 sump too. I also find it take an age for the oil temp guage to rise and again never all that high, maybe the second bar, on the guage.

I'm sure I've read some previous posts about there being 2 types of Gti6 Oil Temp sensors and you need to use a specific one to suit the 205 wiring/gauge.

Since I'm not sure which one I'm running I've tended to rely more on the water temp guage on mine until I suss out which one I'm running.

Cheers.....

Sandy

The bummer is that some oil flow through the cooler is needed for the stat to work. That's why I'm not keen on people fitting oil to air coolers on road cars. Wrapping it for normal driving is the only solution really.

philfingers

sounds like another excuse for some sheet alloy folding and making bits then, a spring fitting oil cooler cover plate!

here's the Brantz alloy mount I made, very proud, then should be it took me about 10 hours!

IMG_9070.jpg

petert
Any idea if a Gti6 temp sensor gives different resistantances to an 8v one at similar temperature?

Definitely different. The 205 gauge will read low if used with the GTi6 sensor.

philfingers

any ideas where we can get the resistances from Peter to compare? You're extended pickup with the Gti6 sump is great by the way, haven't noticed any surge yet :D

VisaGTi16v

You have to use an oil temp sensor from a very late 205 which I recall reading on here as it does read a lot different to the gti6 one. I bought one from Peugeot before for my setup but as the cars sat in the garage for a year I cant confirm that it works or not.

SweetBadger
You have to use an oil temp sensor from a very late 205 which I recall reading on here as it does read a lot different to the gti6 one. I bought one from Peugeot before for my setup but as the cars sat in the garage for a year I cant confirm that it works or not.

That's right, I have a Gti6 sump on my MI and the sender from a late >92 205 fits and works fine. Cost just over a tenner from Peugeot if I remember correctly (Gti6 sender costs about £70! :D ).

VisaGTi16v

Yer was around that £14 or something. Had a quick search on here which suggested that the early 205 ones and gti6 ones are different thread but the late 205's had the same smaller thread as that gti6 and so fit and give the correct reading for the gauge (not that the gauge is ever accurate but should at least be similar to old sump setup!)

philfingers

Any idea on Part Number? Or at least what age of 205?

my problem is it sits very close to the sump guard bar. When i got the Gti6 sump the connector had been broken off but I pulled the guts out and soldered a wire on, filled the void with silicon. I'm not even sure a std GTi6 sender would fit due to the proximity of the bar. Could tap the mocal sandwich plate to take one I suppose

Phil

RonnieG

As I should really be sourcing one of these too to make the gauge as accurate as it can be I followed these threads back.

Going by a previous posting by Superjosh it looks like the part numbers for the late XU engine M14 X 1.25 threaded Oil Temp sender is 0242.81 and the washer to suit is 0313.27.

By the looks of things the sender was approx £16 and the washer 20p about a year ago.

Sign in to follow this