• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Lsd For Road Use?

wildejon

Firstly, sorry if this a repeat, I have done an extensive search and found tons of threads but none really answer my question...

Basically, Miles is about to recon a 1.6 BE3 box for me, and I am thinking that at the same time it might be worth sticking a LSD in there. Realistically, my car is only going to be used on the road, maybe track days in the future....

As you'll see from my sig, the car is putting out 202 bhp which is why I am considering this option, seems like it might help keep things in check. What I would like to understand though is, am I wasting my time if it is just to be used on the road? Would it really gain me that much extra control/power distribution or am I better off saving my money?

I've done some reading around and the Tran X diff does stick out as being the best in my mind, but I also read that plate diffs are way too harsh for road use...

Any help greatly appreciated, would be nice to let Miles know I have a firm decision too :lol:

Thanks!

Henry 1.9GTi

I have a tran-x on the least agressive settings and its fine for road use. I don't have power steering either. If your trickling around you don't even know its there, boot it around a bend and it hooks up and pulls you round. love it :lol:

steering does get heavy when stationary but then its heavy anyway when your parking. I can't remember the difference from when it was an open diff for parking so it can't be that bad.

Do bear in mind service intervals a quaife probably wont need servicing and for road use should have the desired affect. Choice is yours I suppose but don't be put off by the 'harshness' of plate types. Mine is fine, no noises, no catching etc..

good luck.

Henry.

philfingers

I'd go for the TranX, but I'm biased I'm pleased with mine. 10k road and around 12 road rallies on mine. They do make the steering heavier. No PAS is fine for road and possibly track use but for road rally use you need PAS in my opinion. They snatch so much that with one hand on the wheel (changing gear etc) you struggle to hold them.

But traction wise night and day difference.

Also don't underestimate the braking improvement too. On a road rally for instance when you brake with one wheel on mud etc they basically will stop that wheel locking. I found this was the biggest benefit in a way. It's all right going fast but you need to stop and they help that too,

phil

wildejon

Awesome, two really helpful replies, thanks guys!

Jon_Bmw

Yep, I love mine as well, and I have a mear 163bhp.

Its addictively good fun, but I am not sure if I could deal with it day in day out(mostly to do with the stripped out interior I expect!). Ours is on 30/60 and hence the more aggressive setting. Turning at slow speeds is fairly embarrasing, but the lockup when required is so worth it. :ph34r:

wildejon

I guess I should add, this is just a weekend car, not a daily drive :ph34r:

Cheers Jon!

taylorspug

Do it, from a handling point of view its the best thing ive done to my car. Im running a Tran-x on the heavy preload. It makes a bit of noise at parking speeds as the plates chatter, but im not really bothered as it makes the car dynamite to drive. Id take you out in mine as im close by, but a few bits are coming out of the bay this weekend so it will be off the road for a few weeks.

Alastairh

Best mod i ever did.

You'd never look back!

oli-pug

Dammit shut up everyone :ph34r:

Really really really want one

feb

As above, had a Quaife on my 205 and was one of the best modifications I had done.

Did you buy revla's car and have you sold your 1.9S? How's RobSBC doing? Haven't heard from him for a while.

Jealous, I want another 205!

Edited by feb

wildejon

Thanks for the fast and numerous replies, seems pretty conclusive!!

Feb, Yup I bought Revla's car. Sold the 1.9s to a friend of my Dad's I still look after it for him though (driving it to sbc for him soon hopefully, just for a service etc...). Hugely fun to drive still, sooo much torque and so responsive.

Hardly knew Rob, I'll ask Revla (Trevor) and let you know :ph34r:

welshpug
As above, had a Quaife on my 205 and was one of the best modifications I had done.

Did you buy revla's car and have you sold your 1.9S? How's RobSBC doing? Haven't heard from him for a while.

Jealous, I want another 205!

I drove that car after I fitted a clutch for Ger, was indeed a lovely car to drive, the quaife wasn't intrusive at all but was certainly noticeable in the way it made the car behave when pushing on even a little, for the better.

RonnieG

Yup - I would have to agree an LSD is high up there amongst the best mods you can do to a 205, especially pushing 180 brake and above.

I'm also a bit biased as I'm now running both my 205's with Tran-X's - I sold my Quaife to get my second one.

I'm running one on the most aggressive setting & one on the lightest -Even on the lightest there is some chatter on slow parking type speeds but the improvement in the all round driving experience is phenomenal!

philfingers

they seem to get better as they bed in a bit. When I put my new one in the 309 it was terrible, sounded like the Cvs had gone, would clunk and chatter and now it's in the 205 it's better

Jon_Bmw

WildeJon, should you ever be in the Salisbury area, you are welcome to take it for a spin to see if you like it. I guarentee that it will make you laugh the first time you put a long number 11 down the road.*

Council mode /*Even though this isn't the point of an LSD, it has to be done once or twice. :) \ Council mode over.

They transform your confidence when entering corners, and as Phil said braking is greatly improved too, even more on a 45/45 setting I guess.

This is the way I look at an LSD from a financial viewpoint, as this is the biggest killer to people getting one.

See if you pester Miles to get one via the group buy, it will come in at under £600 once you have your bearings and 2 lots of gearbox oil. I bet, that you will be able to sell, said slipper, for about £400-£500 3 or 4 years down the line. You may have to rebuild it, but that is only £30-60. A great investment in terms of modifying cars IMO. Usually, in most bits you will lose well over half their value come resale time.

James_R

Just to add it's possibly the single best mod I did to my car putting a TranX diff in it, I've driven ATB and AP equipped cars and they dno't compare, better than open diff's but the plate set up just seems much more predicatble and pliant really.

I'd have got one before you got the bodies, I was running a std 1.9 8v in the car with it and just makes such a difference!!

oli-pug

Think i'm going to take the plunge now. Just need to decide, Kaaz or Tran-x. The Kaaz is cheaper, Tran-x are only down the road though hmm

maturin23

Taylorspug - with all due respect ('cos being a passenger in your GTI6 205 was great fun) I would find your diff a bit on the noisy side. A little bit too intrusive for shopping trips :) great for country driving but maybe a little too compromised for city use.

Is there an LSD that isn't quite so clunky but would still have a impact positive on a standard-engined Mi'd 205?

James_R

TranX less ramp :)

Oli - suggest you look at availablity of new plates etc.... and then decide.

philfingers

TranX had some quality issues recently (search the British Rally Forum) but on the whole they're right. be vary of 60/30 ramps too. They make you go straight on at corners! it's basically the gravel setting and locks under braking. Which means the wheels want to travel at the same speed/distance ie you find it hard to turn.

I learnt this from experience and it plays havoc with the whole car. I lost the back hard on the power in 3rd (5k rpm +) in a straight line up a hill. You'd never think a diff would do that! In a FWD anyway!

Tom Fenton
Taylorspug - with all due respect ('cos being a passenger in your GTI6 205 was great fun) I would find your diff a bit on the noisy side. A little bit too intrusive for shopping trips :) great for country driving but maybe a little too compromised for city use.

Is there an LSD that isn't quite so clunky but would still have a impact positive on a standard-engined Mi'd 205?

For a more refined diff for a road 205 then its a Quaife you want. OK- when hopping kerbs and driving hard on track it doesn't have the traction of a plate diff, but for a road car it makes a significant difference. Fitting one to my 205 Mi16 was the best thing I've ever done to it.

taylorspug

Mines 45 ramps, but does chatter alot as i believe its running the higher preload setting. As said its a bit of a pain day to day because of the noise, although it just blends into background noise for me now ive got used to it. I wont change it though, the car is addictively good with it fitted! Also ive nearly purchased an everyday car now, so i can keep the 205 in the workshop for weekend blasts. :)

DrSarty

I'd like to comment, although I may not have as much experience as other posters.

I've had std 1.6 and 1.9 205s, and also a 'standard' Mi16. The biggest noticable difference was once the TranX was fitted in mine.

I've been in two 16v 205s with Quaifes, and my gut tells me there was a difference.

Sure, I've got 225-230horses in a 2.2 16v beast, but I know the diff's making a difference. And you know it is when a passenger like Anthony comments on what diff you have.

I little snatchy and noisy at slow speed (the TranX), but once motoring it pays you back in spades.

Miles

All good sound advice here :) , as said on teh choice Tran X or even Gripper (Now upto speed) are great and offer good service and being UK based have the parts to hand or get them made up, Kaaz only have a UK Importer which last time I looked imported Mazda parts.

The service I've ever had from Tran X is brilliant, Quick turnaround and friendly service, Cheap too

brumster

More of the same really. Run a Tran-X with the 6-plate config. I've said this before, but they can make bad suspension setup feel even worse on the road, particularly on bumpy, rutted, uneven surfaces. I'm running sticky tyres, a tight diff and 190 horses through one (soon to be 260 - ulp :S !) and with aggressive tarmac setup, adjustable coil-overs and a good bit of negative camber, it can pull you about a bit! Now naturally on a road car with more conventional geometry and road tyres this should be no-where near as bad.

One thing I will say - the plates wear over time (well, duh!) but if it's slow and progressive you might not notice it. Again, hard stage use saw mine last a few seasons - probably about 2000 miles or so (mainly stage, but some gentle road miles thrown in to that). So, depending how hard you push it, remember to factor in a new set of plates every now and then. They might wear more than, say, a ZF but there's a reason why they're cheap - you just replace :rolleyes:

Having said that, if you thought a TranX was a step up from an open diff then you should sit in a car with a top-spec plate diff in, like a ZF or Sadev... unbelievable!

Sign in to follow this