• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rapidcossie

309 Bottom Arms And 205 Shafts

rapidcossie

Thinking of getting some 309 bottom arms for the 205 to give that wee bit neg camber.

Do I have to get 309 shafts or will the 205 ones long enough so they dont pop out?

The car gets used hard on track and I dont want the shafts popping on corners.

Cheers

Euan

bouver

You need to swop the shafts too.

Anthony

A search will reveal all.

In summary though, ideally you need 309 driveshafts, but some people manage just fine with 205 shafts - seems to be a tolerance issue.

Baz

Ideally as above, although some have got away without!

rapidcossie

Is the fact that the might pop out the only problem I would have?

Baz

Yup!

rapidcossie

Cheers guys

AdamP

Run uprated engine and gearbox mounts to reduce the risk of anything popping out :D

taylorspug

Im running 309 wishbones with 205 shafts, running with a Tran-X diff and eccentric top mounts. Been like it for a good few k's of abuse with no problem. :D

Jrod

The long shaft can't pop out as its bolted in.

Baz

The centre's bolted in, doesn't stop it being too short and possibly ruining/prematurely wearing the CV or intermediate joint.

Just seems it's a hit & miss thing, some get away with it, some don't.

swordfish210

I'm using 309 wishbones and 205 shafts and after a few thousand miles and a couple of trackdays they seem fine.

tom_m

as far as i know i've only seen one person actually post first hand experience of 205 shafts 'popping out' when using 309 wishbones.

there are on balance far more people posting first hand experience of running 205 shafts without any problems on 309 wishbones.

both my 205s have been run like this for thousands of miles without a single problem or premature wear.

Jrod
The centre's bolted in, doesn't stop it being too short and possibly ruining/prematurely wearing the CV or intermediate joint.

But it does stop it popping out.

I never had any problem with mine though so I'd imagine it will be fine, if they do start to knock you can just replace them with 309 ones then I guess. :rolleyes:

Super Josh

I think that if your car is lowered, you are less likely to have any problems. Mine is fine and lowered on Eibach 7001s :rolleyes:

Josh

Alastairh

I've noticed problems in the past. Mainly highlighted by cheap re con'd shafts.

philfingers

can you run 205 arms with 309 shafts on a 205. Bushes in my 309 arms need doing and seeing as I have a set of good 205 arms was going to drop those on as a short term measure until I get the rosejointed ones rebushed (3rd set of arms!- which i didn't fit as bushes are goosed). Also will I need to change the steering arms, PAS rack from a 309 fited at the mo. TRE's are fairly well into the tie rods so not sure if there's be enough adjustment left with 205 arms.

Baz

PAS rack from 309 with it's arms is fine, a couple of my cars run them as do a few friends, enough adjustment there! :lol:

The 205 arms and 309 shafts would work yes, but again i'd presume the shafts may again prematurely wear etc due to being compressed a little more than they would be really.

Jon_Bmw

I'm going to do a similar thing. The Tran X diff is making wear on the outside edge of my tyres even more prominent! Whereas previously the outside one would have little FWD motion as the inside would be spinning, its now churning up the tyres even quicker! ;)

I got a bit lucky at a scrappy and raided a 309 gti before they scrapped it, £70 for the front arms, driveshafts and rear beam. I was a bit gutted at having to give £40 for the rear beam ;) I have got as far as removing the bushes from the front wishbones and can't decide whether to reuse some polybushs that are in the 205 arms or use some brand new OE bushes I have. The rest of the scrap is just taking up room in the garage. :blush: This is the problem with a car not being your everyday chariot, you just leave it for 'tomorrow.' :lol:

The ball joints are ok luckerly, but as my 205 shafts are all ok, I don't know whether to risk some untested 309 shafts or not. I think I might swap the passenger one and leave the drivers side one. See how we get on.

alync406

What would you's think of putting a spacer between the cv and the wheel bearing??, i recon there would be enough threads on the cv joint anyway...it would'nt have to be very much..

philfingers

that could work. I think the 309 arms are about 10mm longer than the 205 ones. I did measure my 309 shafts before I fitted them. I'll try and measure some 205 ones and see what the difference is,

phil