• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thefame

Chipping An S16

thefame

is there any point chipping an s16 ecu?. i've got a catcam inlet cam fitted. and some cheeky cam timing. makes it dead upto 5k then all hell breaks out .

welshpug

chipping no, remapping yes :D

is the cam designed to work with the standard pulley timing? might be worth getting some verniers to play with it a little.

although what you report of the way it behaves, suggests that the ACAV system isn't working properly, I've seen the RR graph of an S16 that was known that it wasn't working properly, it pushed the torque 1k rpm higher than my engine which does work as intended, mine really comes alive at around the 4k mark.

Chris H

is the cam designed to work with the standard pulley timing? might be worth getting some verniers to play with it a little.

although what you report of the way it behaves, suggests that the ACAV system isn't working properly, I've seen the RR graph of an S16 that was known that it wasn't working properly, it pushed the torque 1k rpm higher than my engine which does work as intended, mine really comes alive at around the 4k mark.

I put one of the cheap S16 chips that you can buy on ebay into my car....i did it mainly as i could get them to raise the rev limit to 7750rpm to make it easier to hold on to a gear when hillclimbing and other motorsport...and if i got any power extra it was a bonus.

I've had the car on the rollers and after 120,000 miles it puts out 157 bhp at the flywheel on an otherwise std engine. So given its probably gained me the few bhp the engine will have lost over the years (as they do) i'm quite happy with it for £30......its certainly made it much better to drive with the incresed revs.

I totally agree its no substitute for a mappable ecu etc. But probably value for money if you get one of the cheaper ones.

maxi

Remember this is a Bosch ECU, not the 1AP.10 or another aftermarkett item...... As far as I know these arent remappable. Secondly, Ross's car has a 1900mi inlet manifold on it, none of that ACAV s*ite.

Ive been out in the car in question (I havent had anything to do with the conversion at all!) and its SERIOUSLY flat below 4K, then it longs for the limiter in a frantic surge. My thoughts would be to go back to a pair of std cams on the shortened inlet.

Maxi

welshpug

fair enough, dint know the full details, that system (Bosch MP3.2 IIRC) I'm sure can be mapped though, same guy that does the supercharged gti6's can do it I believe (he did Graham's Bosch MP3.1 too)

I don't think going back to the standard inlet cam will do much bar drop some bhp+LBFT, getting the timing right will make it nicer to drive IMO.

maybe stick it on an RR as it is now, not for figures, but to see how its actually running.

Chris H did you get a graph for that RR run? it'd be interesting to see where the power dropped off, mine after 101k is pushing a repeatable 160 with just a nice catback exhaust (and fully functioning nice acav :D)

Chris H
Chris H did you get a graph for that RR run? it'd be interesting to see where the power dropped off, mine after 101k is pushing a repeatable 160 with just a nice catback exhaust (and fully functioning nice acav :D)

I've got the graph somewhere...i'll have a hunt for it!

maxi
fair enough, dint know the full details, that system (Bosch MP3.2 IIRC) I'm sure can be mapped though, same guy that does the supercharged gti6's can do it I believe (he did Graham's Bosch MP3.1 too)

I don't think going back to the standard inlet cam will do much bar drop some bhp+LBFT, getting the timing right will make it nicer to drive IMO.

maybe stick it on an RR as it is now, not for figures, but to see how its actually running.

Chris H did you get a graph for that RR run? it'd be interesting to see where the power dropped off, mine after 101k is pushing a repeatable 160 with just a nice catback exhaust (and fully functioning nice acav :lol:)

The timing was dialed in by Nick (the main engine builder of what was QEP, now runs his own firm from the premesis) who does it for a living, so its definately cock on.

Maxi

maxi

I really dont know if the ECU is mapable, if it is it will be possible by someone like Wayne @ Chipwizrds but it will cost an arm and a leg plus an absolute mission up there.

Just ask Jay about Ebay chips........ :lol:

Maxi

Rippthrough

Calm down, it's only a commercial.

Alright, that aside, I'd say it's a forlorn path to hope that a generic chip is going to sort out fuelling issues with a catcam, different inlet and timing alterations, it sounds likely the ignition timing needs some serious tweaking lower down. It would be worth that call to Chipwizards imo.

Edited by Rippthrough

pugtop

I couldn't agree more RT ...

Deffo speak to Chipwizards or similar and ask their opinions , programmable ECUs are not too pricey now ...

welshpug

01706 651000, ask for wayne.

thefame
Calm down, it's only a commercial.

Alright, that aside, I'd say it's a forlorn path to hope that a generic chip is going to sort out fuelling issues with a catcam, different and timing alterations, it sounds likely the ignition timing needs some serious tweaking lower down. It would be worth that call to Chipwizards imo.

ok thanks buddy i was just wondering if it might sort afew of the niggles out thats all but raising the rev limit will help as it don't back off at all up to limiter

pug_ham

Your S16 should have a Bosch Motronic MP3.2 ecu so it is remappable by Wayne @ Chipwizards.

The landline number used to be hit & miss with getting an answer.

I'd suggest using his mobile off the chipwizards website but its offline.

Last time I called him it was 07977004476.

Graham.