• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Removing Surface Rust From Engine Bay/inner Wings

djinuk

Ok over the weekend i have removed my engine and uncovered quite a lot of surface rust ,. mostly loose paint etc. I am just wondering what the usual protocol would be to remove this and prep for paint. Does this sound ok, my plan of attack is.

Wire brush all loose paint off, then attack with some kind of anti rust gel from halfords.

Once that has done its stuff, sand down using some 80 grit sand paper.

Wipe Areas down with thinners, and should there be any bad areas of pitting , skim fill the areas (p38) and sand to smooth finish.

Thinner the areas down again, and etch prime areas of bare metal.

Then wipe down full engine bay and respray the full bay.

DamirGTI

Picture would be nice :D so that we can see the state of the affected area :D

Damir B)

djinuk

i will get some pics up,

going to grab a grinder attachment later, and run a grinder across it all.

djinuk

Well Cut of the rotton bumper mounts today (will be ordering new from pug)

24102007472.jpg

Then took a good look around at the areas of rust to trackle. This is what i found. After much proding with a screwdriver though it appears none of it was weak/soft so all good. !!

24102007473.jpg

24102007474.jpg

24102007475.jpg

willmounsey

Your best off taking wire brush and the grinder at it you will see the extent of the damage when the rust is removed.

Is the panel below the headlights still solid?

Hammerite have a rust solution called krust, ive used it on the likes of wee holes in the floor pan under back seats, light wire brush to remove the loose stuff and just paint it on the rust sets pretty soild and you can just hammerite or prime and paint on top.

JackTar

I also have rust on the inner wing just behind the drivers side headlamp. I didn't think it was too bad until today when I accidentally put my hand through it. Is this area load bearing? Will it still get through its MOT or will it need to be welded to get it through?

Almost got my car sorted mechanically and then this happens - the joys of running an old car!!

SurGie

It dont look too bad for a white 205 that a good rust brush wont sort, HERE are a few i use with very good results, the blue Bosch ones go to 12.5 thou revs, so will be strong enough for most grinders.

I have found Granville rust cure the best product, it is used for the shipping/rigs etc, Here.

That epoxy stuff is two pack which means you need an air fed mask to use or else you will get asthma from it.

Edited by SurGie

Jake_GTI
I also have rust on the inner wing just behind the drivers side headlamp. I didn't think it was too bad until today when I accidentally put my hand through it. Is this area load bearing? Will it still get through its MOT or will it need to be welded to get it through?

Almost got my car sorted mechanically and then this happens - the joys of running an old car!!

I just discovered the same thing on my 86 gti, looks pretty bad, I didn't pick at it to see how bad because I was a bit worried I'd put my hand through it! Is it serious? I also have corrosion on my upper inner rear arches which needs sorting as it came up as an advisory on my mot! How hard it it to sort? I am pretty skint atm so need a cheap way of doing it!

Cheers

JRL

I used an aluminum oxide disc on a grinder it stripped rust to bare metall quickly or a wire brush on a drill (steel brush is tougher than brass brush)

If you get as much of it back to bare metal you can see the tru extent. I hate rust.

flyfisher

in the trade the saying is if in dout cut it out or replace it the only sure wa\y

205wrc

For the cost of about £15 - £20 each, I'd be tempted to change the headlamp panels. Not a difficult job, just a bit of a pain getting the wings off first.