• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mato

Power Estimations

Guest mato

Hi, I am posting to hopefully gain a rough estimate of what power my engine will produce once finished and set up, spec is as follows:

Standard 1600 TU bottom end

Stage 3 head

Piper 270 cam

Piper adjustable cam pulley

4 into 1 exhaust manifold

Single box magnex exhaust

Bogg Brothers inlet manifold

Yamaha R6 carbs

ITG sock filters

The car will be off to a rolling road for a proper set up.

Thanks in advance for any estimates

EdCherry

12bhp at the brakes.

In all seriousness, your only gonna know when its done. Id get rid of the sock filters and go for a sausage filter.

Edited by EdCherry

Guest mato
12bhp at the brakes.

In all seriousness, your only gonna know when its done. Id get rid of the sock filters and go for a sausage filter.

Thanks, I take it the sausage filter has a larger surface area and therefore flows better?

EdCherry

In the short yes.

RossD

Indeed, as EdCherry said, there are so many variables there - It could produce from 110bhp upwards to about 145bhp. Which 1600 TU was the bottom end from, as the 90bhp TU5JP was different to the 103bhp TU5J2 which was again different to the 120bhp TU5J4! (All having differing pistons and compression ratios!)

It also depends on how good the head is - 'Stage 3' means nothing really!

johnnyboy666

please post the results when it does get on the rollers, im curious :D

TB_205GTI

The "Stage" term always makes me giggle :D

jamiej

Can someone eliviate on the sock sausage idea ... surely a sock would be better than a sausage filter as its significantly smaller, Less SA would be a benefit for induction surely, less SA would mean less restriction on the air getting in.

wouldnt running with no filters at all be the best solution (aside from the debris in the inlet issue !!)

Edited by jamiej

Tom Fenton

Less surface area means more volume of air is having to pass through a unit area of filter. Bigger surface equals less air travelling through per unit area, equals less restriction.

Suck through 1 drinking straw, then suck through 10 drinking straws at once, which is easier??

Edited by Tom Fenton

jamiej

valid

mattbenselin

Due in part to the cost of a filter like an ITG sausage I am making an airbox from stainless sheet and fitting a K&N panel filter in the end (from a Ford Orion) as it's about 45cm x 15cm and only £30. Just a thought and a cheap and functional choice.

EdCherry

Airbox's are good idea's but the whole point is to find an idea which has a higher pressure than atmospheric pressure, making the air denser and more power. Unless I was going to start modifying and making up airbox's to make sure I was getting a higher pressure (any little counts) id just stick with an ITG sausage.

mattbenselin

Well I have lowered my rad and along with the airbox got some stainless sheet to scoop and direct the air into the filter. The hope is to maximise the air 'rammed' into the filter when driving though achiveing noticeable pressure is difficult. Its more about getting clean, cold (denser) and unrestricted air in not sucking up air from the hot engine bay.

davenport

the spec sounds quite similar to the one rob @ shenpar built for me a few years ago with the exception of the cam (mine was the piper 285)

as mentioned ditch the sock filters and get a sausage on there..

mikeanics did the final carb tweeks on mine and it made 142bhp and 114lbft... or so that RR said.. they all guestimate and vary hugely depending where you go..

as long as its a healthy build and makes you grin (an the noise will i guarantee!!) numbers mean nowt..