• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Hand Brake Cable

hexhamstu

cant remove the bloody hand brake cable from the caliper. pissing me off! i have unhooked the end bit, is the outter cable just supposed to slide out?

i'll get a picture, looks a bit mashed.

Tom Fenton

Its more than common that the end ferrule of the cable corrodes and seizes into the caliper. Get brutal with a big hammer and chisel.

Anthony

Pretty much as Tom says, the end of the cable corrodes into the caliper in no time at all, and BFI is the easiest solution - I'd personally say that rather than using a chisel, to use something blunt. Personally I've found that a balljoint splitter (the ones that look like a tuning fork) and a lump hammer never fails to shift them with a couple of well aimed clouts, whereas using a chisel sometimes takes longer and damages the cable end as the chisel tries to cut into the metal.

hexhamstu

s*itty haynes manual. tells me its all easy peasy.

Tom Fenton

Grease the new ones well before you fit them!

Anthony
s*itty haynes manual. tells me its all easy peasy.

The thing to remember with Haynes is that they stripped down a (I assume) zero mile 205 where everything was free and no rust or corrosion in sight, and hence frequently bares absolutely no resemblance to real life, when you're frequently dealing with rusted and siezed fixings in the most inaccessable places...