• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATK

Hmm...squeaking Sound At Low Speeds?

ATK

Hi guys,

Got most of my little niggles with my new 205 GTi sorted out over the last few days.

Only thing that's left is when I am driving at low speeds, there is a squealing / squeaking sound which sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel. It stops immediately when I use the brake and when the speed goes past 20mph approx

Brake pads have checked out OK.

Any ideas of what this could be, or any tips of trying to locate where the problem is?

Cheers

Al

pugdamo

Id try a brake strip,clean and put it back together with some brake paste or copper grease. Also check your discs,if they are lipped then this can also cause a squeek.

Rom

Get the car up, spin the wheel to see if you can hear anything.

The s*it shield can cause a hig picthed noise, there easy to bend and contact the disc. Id also look for a pad retaining clip if you have them, i-poorly fitted they can also contact the disc, acting like a wear squealer !

ATK
Get the car up, spin the wheel to see if you can hear anything.

The s*it shield can cause a hig picthed noise, there easy to bend and contact the disc. Id also look for a pad retaining clip if you have them, i-poorly fitted they can also contact the disc, acting like a wear squealer !

Okay, just had the wheel off and if I run my hand along the inside of the disc, there feels like a lip around it on the edge. Could this be causing the problem? If so as a quick fix could this be filed down carefully without causing any problems?

Thanks

Al

Rom

Are they new pads on old discs ?

The lip could make a noise yes, but normally it would be a graunchy noise. Pads never wear the very edge of the disc, so you get a lip. When using new pads on old discs, they wont be worn to this lip.

You can file off the lip, its probably on the inner face too.