• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Washers - Front=hmmm, Back=turbocharged

chocolate_o_brian

As above really. Last few months I've noticed the front windscreen washers seems a little lazy. Require two/three decent tugs on the stalk to activate. Rear ones seems powerful enough when twisting same stalk. So just been out and made a mess (as per) swapping the 2 pumps around. Same story, so I assume the pumps are both in good working order. Slightly different in positioning where the connection terminals are, but same power when going through the front washers.

The washer reservoir isn't bunged up, and I rubbed out with an old tea towel just incase. I'm a little stumped now. Could it be the stalk itself just needing more of a tug, or is it an electrical connection? On each washer pump theres 2 wires coming out of the terminals (one each) and these disappear wherever. I've given the terminal heads a scrub (on the front - rear is fine), but made no difference.

Any experienced heads offer advice to a novice?

Thanks in advance :ph34r:

DrSarty

Confused at the problem.

You mention powerful pump/spray, and then say it needs several attempts on the switch to activate. So what is the problem: they don't work very well; won't work without effort; or both?

If they work (on the front) but not very powerfully, then I'd suspect your tubes are kinked. If they spray fine, but need effort to make them operate then yes it's likely to be an electrical connection problem, perhaps in the switch itself.

pug_ham

The front washers always seem to be worse for power occasionally, best way I've found is to remove the spray nozzles from the bonnet, soak them in hot (~boiling) water & give them a thorough clean out with pins etc.

Sediment from the tank seems much more prominent at the front (probably because they are used lots more) & works its way along the pipes until it blocks the spray jets, often drivers side first.

Does the pump run everytime you pull the stalk? If it doesn't then you could need a new one but if it does a good clean of the sprayers should help.

Graham.

chocolate_o_brian

Yes you can hear the pump working, but you need to properly flick the stalk back and hold it quite sternly. I may try cleaning the washers, as swapping the front/rear pumps around didn'd make a difference. The rear one needed just as much pulling on the stalk as the front one did when swapped.

Hope thats a bit clearer.

chocolate_o_brian
Confused at the problem.

You mention powerful pump/spray, and then say it needs several attempts on the switch to activate. So what is the problem: they don't work very well; won't work without effort; or both?

If they work (on the front) but not very powerfully, then I'd suspect your tubes are kinked. If they spray fine, but need effort to make them operate then yes it's likely to be an electrical connection problem, perhaps in the switch itself.

Yes mate, squirt ok, but not brilliantly, but it takes a bit of effort on the stalk switch to get em going in the first place. Thats why I swapped the front and rear pumps around to elliminate the chance it may be the front pump buggered. Rear pump on front washer needed as much effort as front on front. Front pump on rear was same as rear on rear, turbocharged :wub:

Hope thats clearer fella.

A2TheA

sorry to jump in here, has anyone found a better 'spray' washer rather than a jet of fluid?

something modern like a clio or something like this??

aaron

DrSarty

Tubes & nozzles then affecting power.

Switch for stubborness or loose connection to pump.

platty

As said, could be a kinked pipe, semi blocked pipe, cr@p in the nozzle housings, low voltage on the front pump (bad earth?). Also, don't forget your feeding two nozzles with the same pump, compared to one on the rear. The rear will always out perform the front (good for soaking cyclist's if you turn it sideways enough). B)

Edited by platty

chocolate_o_brian

It does point towards a crappy connection or the stalk, as the wipers are laxidazical in coming on too when the washers are flicked. Checked the pipe again today and seems fine, no kinks and/or blockages.

Suppose I'll put up with it and break the stalk eventually B)

platty

You might find your wipers being slow to start/sweep the screen down to the spindles rusting up inside the plastic retainers. It's a scuttle off job to fix, but all you need is some wet and dry, and some grease (I used white lithium). Mine were stiff as f*** untill I gave them a clean up.

Chuck a multi meter on the pump connections and see what voltage your getting there. That'll help point you in the right direction.

Rom

I used to have to clean mine out regularly. No matter hwo many times i cleaned out the bottle, lines, jets, they would always block up, or be very crap !

I'liberated' a set off a Yaris at work, which have a fan spray rather than jets. Much better, not a straight fit though, holes needed fettleing.

I have a new pump, new lines, new jets, and a much newer tank now, and there great.

steve@cornwall

This was my problem - pipe crushed / restricted where it passed behind the coil mounting plate.

post-7883-1237576933_thumb.jpg

DaveW
sorry to jump in here, has anyone found a better 'spray' washer rather than a jet of fluid?

aaron

Xsara jets? they might fit on a 205, they are a 'mist' type much better than the jet.

humanz

aaron

Has been discussed already. 307 mist type jets are a straight fit. However, autobonnets seem to sit them at the wrong angle (too low on the windshield)

Rom

The auto bonnet caused me trouble too. The Yaris jets i first used arent adjustable, the spray is fixed, they hit prety low, but were so powerful the screen got sprayed anyway :P

But ive got another set to try, as Toyota being the perfecionists they are... list 5 different jets for the Yaris, all with different angles of spray, so ive ordered the higest angle ones, hopefully will eliminate the problem with the auto bonnet.

chocolate_o_brian

I think I may know a little more now.

The wipers work fine and dandy when the stalk is moved up/down to the various speeds. But the forwards flick which gets the jets/wipers going together isn't connecting properly I think. Now when the stalk is at the top (wipers off), I really need to pull hard to get anything, but if I turn the stalk to intermittant wipe (once every 5 secs is it?) and then flick the washers, works perfectly.

So I'm under the assumption that there isn't a blockage, but a connector issue on the top stalk switch.

If I get chance, I'll try take a brief video to show what I mean, but I think it may be an idea to source another wiper stalk and see if this helps at all.

platty

A stalk should fix the problem. If your having to pull hard, it sounds like the contacts within the stalk have been moved apart (probably by a gorilla pulling too hard :) ).

chocolate_o_brian
A stalk should fix the problem. If your having to pull hard, it sounds like the contacts within the stalk have been moved apart (probably by a gorilla pulling too hard :) ).

Lol :D

Thing is though, I've seen 2 different types of stalk for the wipers, see below...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PUG-205-GTi-CONVERTI...1QQcmdZViewItem

The one below looks similar with a terminal bit added on the side...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-205-309-GTI-...1QQcmdZViewItem

My car's a Phase 1.5 from 1988, so I assume its one of the above. Do you think the top link has the terminal bit missing?

Also, how the bloody 'ell do you get to the stalk? Nothing in Haynes manual I can find.

GLPoomobile

I don't think the terminal is missing, it's probably just mounted in a different place on the housing, although I must confess that I didn't know Pug changed the design of these apart from the colour (grey for Ph1.5 and black for Ph 2).

IIRC, to get to the stalk you have to remove the lower trim (4 screws), and possibly loosen or remove the upper trim, which may also mean loosening or removing the upper dash part that goes over the instruments. My memory is a bit hazy on the subject. Once the trim is loose enough to get access, there's only about 2 screws holding the stalk in, so you just remove them and jiggle the stalk out from under the trim.

Edited by GLPoomobile

chocolate_o_brian
I don't think the terminal is missing, it's probably just mounted in a different place on the housing, although I must confess that I didn't know Pug changed the design of these apart from the colour (grey for Ph1.5 and black for Ph 2).

IIRC, to get to the stalk you have to remove the lower trim (4 screws), and possibly loosen or remove the upper trim, which may also mean loosening or removing the upper dash part that goes over the instruments. My memory is a bit hazy on the subject. Once the trim is loose enough to get access, there's only about 2 screws holding the stalk in, so you just remove them and jiggle the stalk out from under the trim.

Thanks for that, noted. Definitely the top connection, as tried it several times earlier with the same results. Got a very clean windscreen now though :D

S@m

If you want to try a better set of washers then Phase 2 saxos have jets that cover the whole screen in a mist of spray rather than the 2 thin jets on each side that just clean a tiny area. They should be a straight swap, i suppose the spray might not be set up ideally for a 205 screen but its worth a go, i have them on my 306 anyways and very little misses the screen.

Sam

chocolate_o_brian
If you want to try a better set of washers then Phase 2 saxos have jets that cover the whole screen in a mist of spray rather than the 2 thin jets on each side that just clean a tiny area. They should be a straight swap, i suppose the spray might not be set up ideally for a 205 screen but its worth a go, i have them on my 306 anyways and very little misses the screen.

Sam

Thanks for the advice Sam. The jets I'm not so fussed about, as said it's the lack of power. When I source a replacement stalk or fix this one, I'll see what the powers like then. Just an annoyance, but at least I've found the culprit now.

humanz
Thing is though, I've seen 2 different types of stalk for the wipers, see below...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PUG-205-GTi-CONVERTI...1QQcmdZViewItem

The one below looks similar with a terminal bit added on the side...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-205-309-GTI-...1QQcmdZViewItem

My car's a Phase 1.5 from 1988, so I assume its one of the above. Do you think the top link has the terminal bit missing?

The stalk in the first link does not have a terminal bit on the end. This bit afaik controls the rear wiper arm. The stalks come in a couple types. A rather early type which looks like the 309 stalks, a type with no end bit (and no rear wiper control?), a type with a brown 2pin end terminal bit, and a type with a green 3pin end terminal bit (as seen in the second link). Pretty sure yours will be one with a green connection at the end. Only one way to be sure tho....remove the stalk and check.

chocolate_o_brian
The stalk in the first link does not have a terminal bit on the end. This bit afaik controls the rear wiper arm. The stalks come in a couple types. A rather early type which looks like the 309 stalks, a type with no end bit (and no rear wiper control?), a type with a brown 2pin end terminal bit, and a type with a green 3pin end terminal bit (as seen in the second link). Pretty sure yours will be one with a green connection at the end. Only one way to be sure tho....remove the stalk and check.

Will do when I get round to it.

205gt-ty

I had the same problem with my stalk All i did was dismantled the stalk, If you do this be very careful where you do it as there re quite a few springs waiting to pop out, if I remember rightly there were three metal clamps holding the terminal block together at the end of the stalk I prised those of then had access to the copper tracks inside which had a fair build up of carbon after 20yrs of use. I just used some emery cloth to clean them all up, The washer contact is typically the hardest to get into put a bit of emery cloth did it a treat, afterwards washers worked fine. hope this helps