• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cherry_red

Damaged Sump....small Oil Leak

cherry_red

I was jacking the engine up to put the lower engine mount bolt in and I realized the sharp edge of the jack had cut into to the sump (very small hole), now there is a tiny oil leak dripping not pouring out.

What should I do? As its a very minute hole, I thought maybe some liquid metal may do the trick and seal it up? :ph34r:

I really wish I put some wood in between the jack and the sump, steel cuts through alloy very well. :lol:

Rupertfinch

JB Weld might be a temporary fix.

cherry_red

I was hoping that would do the trick. Would it be ok to use it on the outside of the sump once all the oil is drained? Don't fancy having to take the hole sump off and clean it all.

dcc

use some quick steel or what ever it is called!

sand down the surface of the sump, make sure its dry too, should sort it out untill you source a new sump!

M@tt

jacking car on the sump tut, tut, naughty boy :ph34r:

as above give some of that jb weld a try should do the trick as a temp fix

kyepan

or take it off and get it crack tested and welded.

ALEX

Mine rusted through yesterday, Just giving it a service for it's MOT tomorrow, when I noticed the sump was weaping oil.

I powder coated it a few years ago and a few blisters had formed since, Water must have got trapped and rusted t through.

So guess I'll be swapping mine over tonight then as I think I've sourced a spare, I think I'll leave this one unpainted though!

Anthony

My worry would be that you've not just holed the sump, but cracked it too.

Personally, I would source another and replace it as a matter of course for the £20-30 that another will cost.

Tom Fenton

I'd also change it now and be done with it. I don't see that any kind of epoxy bodge will do a good job, simply as you will struggle to get the surface completely clean and oil free.

Stu

Agreed.

I would get another, theres plenty of XU10's in the scrap yard, failing that theres quite a few cars being broken over on the various forums.. :lol:

BuD

Gti6's have a baffle + trap door in the sump to help with oil surge - dont know if all Xu10's have this but I definitly would'nt fit a sump to a gti6 without it.

Edited by BuD

Spiky
Gti6's have a baffle + trap door in the sump to help with oil surge - dont know if all Xu10's have this but I definitly would'nt fit a sump to a gti6 without it.

all xu10's with a/c have the gated sump :wub:

replace it, and forget about it :lol:

Anthony
all xu10's with a/c have the gated sump :wub:

All XU10's, period. Only differences is that some of the non-AC ones had a tin, rather than alloy, sump - both have baffles and trap-doors though.

Sign in to follow this