• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Mi

Rear Beam Which Way Do The Shockers Go?

Chris_Mi

Hi all,

Now I have finished painting my freshly refurbed 309 Gti beam :D , I am seriously pleased with myself!

(Thanks to Anthony for the refurb)

However, as usual, there are a couple of things confusing me :P :

1) When the beam is fitted on the car, which way do the new K6 shockers go, is it with squashy black plastic/rubber protector pointing down towards the ground, or with the squashy plastic gaitor protector thing pointing upwards towards the body of the car (please bear in mind the beam is upside down in the piccies), also,

2) What the hell are the white polyeurathene bushes for that came from my BBM Group A rear beam mounts? Where do they fit?

Thanks

Chris

post-11764-1237408802.jpg

post-11764-1237408829_thumb.jpg

post-11764-1237408840.jpg

oli-pug

The damper gaiters are at the top when on the car. The bolts are different sizes anyway so will be obvious.

The bushes are for the front mounts.

pugdamo

I love the description,as you say the black squashy bit points up towards the body.

I cant really make out the bushes very well,they look like shocker bushes but if theres onlt 2 i have no idea

The damper gaiters are at the top when on the car. The bolts are different sizes anyway so will be obvious.

The bushes are for the front mounts.

Just beat me :P

marksorrento205

Dampers go gaitor up and the white top hats replace the rubber bush - where the fwd mount with the two studs that bolts to the boot floor attaches to the beam. Remove the single nut and bolt, pull of the mount and you will see it.

Edit: Me too :P

Edited by marksorrento205

Chris_Mi

Thanks chaps!

Rupertfinch

Should there not be 4 of the white nylon bushes?

Are they not the ones that replace the rubber bushes that go underneath the 2 pronged mounting point at the rear of the beam? Just above the bottom of the shock (not the squashy end).

Damn that sounds confusing!

Edited - as that's exactly what marksorrento205 said! Still, hope you've got the other 2!

Edited by Rupertfinch

CosKev

Good luck getting them out! :P

Had a right nightmare with mine,had to cut the ends off the bolts to start with :D

Then the bushes are a right job to knock out :P

100_2262.jpg

Rupertfinch

I should add that they're a bugger to fit, but plenty of copper grease a good chunk of wood and a BFH and you'll get them in place.

Getting out the original bushes is a right laugh as well - there's plenty of threads on removal methods.

Edit - beaten to it!

Edited by Rupertfinch

CosKev
Getting out the original bushes is a right laugh as well - Edit - beaten to it!

LOL at a right laugh! :lol:

There was not much laughing goin on in my garage when I was removing them!!!!! :ph34r:

Rupertfinch

I found that swearing was mostly appropriate, particularly the phrase 'how the f**k have I managed to snap another drill bit?' You have to admit that there's magic smoke off them as you drill! I was seeing sounds for the next few hours! :ph34r:

Chris_Mi

Wooaaahhhh! :lol:

That looks like a right job! So, let me get this straight, do the white bushes actually fit anywhere on the beam in my photos? Is it underneath the pan type thing with two bolts sticking out, on either side of the beam (i.e. the part touching the floor in the pics). Or when I lift the car up will I find them (the old bushes) hidden underneath the car somewhere?

BTW, I did get 4 :ph34r:

Is it worth actually going through the bother of fitting these? I've already replaced the rubber sandwich with the solid metal block, but will these PE bushes make much difference?

Thanks once again, and apologies for my stupidity. I searched for front mount, but mainly came up with front strut topics.

Edited by Chris_Mi

Rupertfinch

No probs on the stupidity front, it's all a learning curve!

Hope this makes sense.

post-8711-1237413567_thumb.gif

Rupertfinch

In fact - this should help even more. It confused the hell out of me when I was working on my beam!

Image stolen from main forum - jonmurgie's rear beam guide. Have a look.

post-8711-1237414096.jpg

Chris_Mi

Thanks, got it!

But is it worth going through the hassle of fitting the white PE bushes? I was under some sort of deluded idea that it was mainly the rubber sandwiches that cause the main issues when they wear.

Rupertfinch

Yes! It will make you a man! You'll have stories to tell the grand kids.

Why not fit them? If you've gone to the bother of getting a refurbed beam and you're using GpN solid aluminium mounts, then for the sake of an hour or 2 (you could get lucky and do it lots quicker - then again we are talking about 205s here...) it's worth it. You might only have the beam off once in your ownership so why not take a punt. I fitted mine and the car's flippin' hilarious to drive (in a good way).

Make sure you've got a good few drill bits, a good small chisel or punch, a small hacksaw, a proper hammer, a thick lump of wood and a tub of copper grease and you're guaranteed a good time!

Chris_Mi
Yes! It will make you a man! You'll have stories to tell the grand kids.

Why not fit them? If you've gone to the bother of getting a refurbed beam and you're using GpN solid aluminium mounts, then for the sake of an hour or 2 (you could get lucky and do it lots quicker - then again we are talking about 205s here...) it's worth it. You might only have the beam off once in your ownership so why not take a punt. I fitted mine and the car's flippin' hilarious to drive (in a good way).

Make sure you've got a good few drill bits, a good small chisel or punch, a small hacksaw, a proper hammer, a thick lump of wood and a tub of copper grease and you're guaranteed a good time!

Cheers, last time I did something similar (wishbone bushes), I burnt out several drill bits (the old fella's :ph34r: ), snapped about 4 hacksaw blades (the old fella's :lol: ), nearly lost some expensive sockets (the old fella's :lol: ), got swarf all over a rather expensive limited edition Speed Triple (the old fella's :ph34r: ), and skinned all the knuckles on a right hand (mine :lol: ).

Great barrel of laughs that one was!

Rupertfinch

That's what old fellas are for. If they didn't want their sons buggering up their tools, then they shouldn't have had kids.

I take your point on wishbone bushes, I simple bought new 'bones rather than twatting about with them! You could maybe try the blowtorch method this time?

Chris_Mi
That's what old fellas are for. If they didn't want their sons buggering up their tools, then they shouldn't have had kids.

I take your point on wishbone bushes, I simple bought new 'bones rather than twatting about with them! You could maybe try the blowtorch method this time?

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how I get on!

CosKev

I have heard an air-chisel is a good tool for the job if you have access to a compressor :ph34r:

Or like I've started to do now chuck the lads at my local Kwik Fit a few ££££'s and get them to press them out :lol:

Just cut one end of the bush off with grinder if going for the press job :lol:

pug_ham

As already said (several times) the shocks will only fit in one direction!!

If you are fitting the solid rear mounting bocks then you'd be best to have the front done as well imo.

The front bushes raen't to hard to get out with a modicum of brute force.

This topic covers removing & refitting them pretty well & indepth & this picture from the linked topic shows how I did it easily.

Graham.

marksorrento205

I drilled all the rubber out pulled the centres out and then beat the outer casing out. Take your time and have plenty of drill bits as you are bound to snap one as you give it a wiggle. Once you have got one half out the other is a doddle - I used a socket then.