• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Have I Just Fitted Another Duff Beam?

M_R_205

just removed my old beam and refitted a nice un-seized item i got of Richie-van-gti however on the drivers side its sitting a bit lowwer and closer to the bumper than on the passenger side,

could it be that the beam is not mounted straight? the beam is on its way out? the beam has be been lowerd by 1 notch to much on the drivers side? or somthing else??

also il point out there are no shocks or brakes on the car so its not just a result of the car being jacked up and dropped.

SN200345small.jpg

SN200346small.jpg

Cheers

Paul

EDIT more pics..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...200347small.jpg in this pic the wheel sits lower when jacked up which makes me think that the torsion bar is worn out (or not as stiff) as the drivers side

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...200348small.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...200349small.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...200350small.jpg

Edited by M_R_205

M@tt

might be worth checking you've got 2 front rear beam mounts the same as they have different offset, just incase it has a mixed paitr somehow.

Also your bumper/3/4 panel gap in the second pic doesn't look straight so its tilting down near the wheel slightly more.

pug_ham

Somethings not right, suspect beam imo. One side is closer to being seized.

Any beam you can pick up now for a 205 or 309 unless you have receipted proof its been rebuilt in the last 18 months needs taking apart & refurbing imo just as a safety measure.

The front mounts won't allow the beam to be mounted with that much difference fore / aft fitting like you have there imo even with the slight bumper / 3/4 panel gap difference unless they've beenmixed like m@tt suggests but I'd find that unlikely unless the beam has been apart before.

Rear mounts are slotted & don't have any control over how the beam sits on the car.

Graham.

M_R_205
Somethings not right, suspect beam imo. One side is closer to being seized

if thats the case then its the passenger side thats gone as it sits higher when on the ground and off,

The beam is only a temporary meassure while i get a 309 beam refurbed though i think i will sel the 309 beam and keep this as the 309 will be far to wide for the non gti shell,

I may knock the torsion bars out and see how the arms feel when free to move, then pack them full of grease and leave it till i have time anbd money to get it refurbed.

not the best soloution i know but theres not much else i can do.

EDIT are 205 and 309 radius arms the same?

Edited by M_R_205

taylorspug

If the drivers side sits lower when the car is on the ground, and droops closer to the ground when the car is jacked up, then there is probably a bit of play in the torsion bar and/or trailing arm. Ive had a similar problem before (on my beam as it goes), and basically decided it wasnt a major problem for me, and just whipped the torsion bar out and fiddled the height until it was right.

EDIT: Yes 205 and 309 arm fitment is the same, but camber and toe settings vary, so make sure you use a matched pair.

Edited by taylorspug