• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATK

205gti - Troubleshooting Various Problems

ATK

Hello all

Recently got my first GTi, a K-plate 1.9. Lovely car and incredibly fun to drive. Noticed a few faults which I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to causes, cures and possible costings to get them sorted. Here goes!

1. At low speeds there is a squeaking / squealing noise which appears to be from the front right wheel. Bearings? Brake pads?

2. Going over bumps there is a clunk noise from the left rear. Not a very big gap between back wheel arch and tyre either. Suspension problem or rear beam?

3. Clicking sound sometimes when starting. Can hear fuel pump going but takes a few turns for the starter to kick in. I understand this could be the solenoid wire, where can I find this damned brown multiplug?!

4. Engine cuts out a little when starting up from cold. Keeping a bit of throttle on and she's fine, and after a minute of warming the idle is fine. She's had a new battery.

5. Handbrake a little loose - where do I tighten the same?

6. Oil pressure typically around the first bar or 1/4. Is this normal?

Apologies if the above seems a little simple, I am a novice but would like to get working on things myself if at all possible.

Cheers!

Al

jimistdt

Recently got my first GTi, a K-plate 1.9. Lovely car and incredibly fun to drive. Noticed a few faults which I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to causes, cures and possible costings to get them sorted. Here goes!

1. At low speeds there is a squeaking / squealing noise which appears to be from the front right wheel. Bearings? Brake pads?

Could be either, check for play in the wheel withthe car in the air.

2. Going over bumps there is a clunk noise from the left rear. Not a very big gap between back wheel arch and tyre either. Suspension problem or rear beam?

Sounds like a beam issue :wub:

3. Clicking sound sometimes when starting. Can hear fuel pump going but takes a few turns for the starter to kick in. I understand this could be the solenoid wire, where can I find this damned brown multiplug?!

HERE!

4. Engine cuts out a little when starting up from cold. Keeping a bit of throttle on and she's fine, and after a minute of warming the idle is fine. She's had a new battery.

Sounds pretty common...

Thats in the Haynes..have a look in m@tts signature on here..

6. Oil pressure typically around the first bar or 1/4. Is this normal?

Pass...

Cant help you anymore someone will come along to fill the gaps :lol:

ATK

Cheers for the quick reply dude....couple more Q's

1. for checking for play, jack up the car and how do i check for play?

2. is it easier to access brown multiplug from bottom of car or through engine? had a quick look earlier but couldn't locate it

Thats in the Haynes..have a look in m@tts signature on here..

Who's sig do i need to see sorry?

Also my dash lights have now stopped working! Argh! Sidelights and fuse fine, thinking it could be the dimmer switch under the steering column :S

Cheers dude

Al

Edited by ATK

lemmingzappa

You need to look in "m@tts" sig for the haynes.

As for the oil pressure, mine is normally around 3/4 even when warm.