• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
munster

Its Getting Hot In Here

munster

A few weeks ago i changed the thermostat housing and re-bled the coolant.

Ever since, the cabin of the car gets very very warm. Warmer than it did prior to bleeding and warmer than i remember my old GTI being. This is even when driving normally, but I can feel the extra heat straight after giving it some welly.

I have the fan set on zero (12 o'clock) and the heater in the red. Just as i always have. The engine temp is the same as usual also (12 o'clock position)

Should this extra heat be a concern, or does it just mean the system has been bled well?

Yesterday my cd player spat a cd out and said 'HEAT' on the display! lol So im sure something isn't right..

aCe

Sound like maybe prior to you bleeding the system the matrix may have been blocked.

I have had also problems where the heat from the matrix has interefered with the radio- right after that the matrix leaked on to the radio and caused an electrical fire :lol:

unariciflocos

The heat dial operates a valve in the heater matrix (i think). So if you keep it in the red coolant will flow through the heater matrix even if the fan is not blowing air through it. Just turn the dial to cold or in between. Could be that before the bleeding you had air trapped in your heater matrix.

Edited by unariciflocos

damien

as above, your need to turn the dial to cold or half way as the heater matrix is still pumping heat round

hispetdog

i wish my car was warm! lol

Anthony
The heat dial operates a valve in the heater matrix (i think). So if you keep it in the red coolant will flow through the heater matrix even if the fan is not blowing air through it.

Not quite true in the case of 205 and 309's. Coolant always flows through the heater matrix and hence the matrix is always hot. The heat dial operates a flap in the heater box, varying the amount of air that's blown through the heater matrix, and thus how much hot air you get.

platty

Edit: Beaten to it ^

Edited by platty

unariciflocos

I stand corrected then, wasn't sure about it, but turning the dial to cold will solve your problem.

If I think about it didn't see any valve on the heater matrix when I took apart my dash looking for my heating problem some nights go. My problem was that I had connected the return of the heater matrix to the blocked off outlet on the back off the block during the conversion, so no wonder it wasn't heating. :wub: