• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

Ball Bearings ?

buster205

hi all

was checking play in wishbone on sunday and whilst rocking wheel about a ball bearing dropped on the floor (about quarter inch diameter) didn't notice where it came from. Just changed wishbone and was checking movement again when another ball bearing dropped out. i'm thinking/hoping they've come from the top mount, anywhere else they might be from ?.....

cheers

Ste

Ryan

Top mount, wheel bearing, or if it's the driver's side possibly the driveshaft intermediate bearing

buster205
Top mount, wheel bearing, or if it's the driver's side possibly the driveshaft intermediate bearing

cheers mate, it's the passenger side so hopefully narrowed down to two things in question !

Ste

AndyJ

Another vote for top mount, I thought the wheel bearing was on rollers, or am I talking out my proverbial?

Ryan

I've never looked at a wheel bearing that carefully, so you could well be right about it being rollers.

buster205
I've never looked at a wheel bearing that carefully, so you could well be right about it being rollers.

there seems to be very little/no play in the wheel bearing, so hopefully it will be top mounts

cheers

Ste

alync406

Wheel bearings have ball bearings,not roller bearings.

If they came out of the wheel bearing you should be able to see in beside the driveshaft.

pugdamo

Wheels bearings are about that size,the strutt tops are smaller bearings. I would be very concerned if there are bearings falling out.

welshpug

I would think its top mount bearings, wheel bearings are far larger, and also cannot drop out due to the CV joint being bolted against the back of the bearing.

buster205
I would think its top mount bearings, wheel bearings are far larger, and also cannot drop out due to the CV joint being bolted against the back of the bearing.

nice one, i'm fitting new top mount kits at w/end so i'll check how many b.b's are in each side, i've never done wheel bearings before but they are on the to do list !

cheers

Ste

buster205
Wheels bearings are about that size,the strutt tops are smaller bearings. I would be very concerned if there are bearings falling out.

just fitted passenger side top mount kit, bearing cage had 4 ball bearings missing, cheers for the replies !

Ste

AdamP

Hang on a minute.... my top mounts didn't have any ball bearings in them and didn't look like they were supposed to!

buster205
Hang on a minute.... my top mounts didn't have any ball bearings in them and didn't look like they were supposed to!

alright mate

if you got the repair kit, you got the rubber donut, nyloc nuts, washers and bearings, the bearings are sealed in what looks like a flying saucer (2 halves clipped together) the casing on mine and come apart and some of the b.b's had dropped out of the cage. if yours had stayed in one piece you won't see the cage or b.b's. !........

cheers

Ste

AdamP

Here's a piccy of my top mount, where's the ball bearings meant to be?

DSC05985.jpg

Edited by AdamP

buster205

DSC05985.jpg

the top plate in the picture which is upside down as the bearing on the top in your picture, if you prise that open there is a cage inside with the ball bearings in (not very well explained sorry)

jengis

DSC05985.jpg

You haven't shown the bearing part in that piccy. Thats just the donut and the top plate. The bearing would be the next part to go over the donut (if your assembling it that way up), then the top spring platform. That completes the "top mount" assembly.

AdamP

Erm no, thats 4 of the 5 pieces there, only the spring seat to go on.

buster205
Erm no, thats 4 of the 5 pieces there, only the spring seat to go on.

you're right, if you look in haynes manual it shows bearing in exploded diagram (section 10.4) it's no.8 on diagram they've called it stop, on mine that is the bearing, if you look at it the right way up bearing sits on spring seat on mine because the bottom half was stuck in spring seat and top half of bearing casing had come away letting the b.b's fall out. i had a 1.6 gti a few years ago and that had the same set up.......

Ste

AdamP

Oh good, so i'm not missing anything!

Cheers :)