• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Aftermarket Speedo

wardy18

hi all

As I'm gettin my hillclimb pug road worthy I need to fit an aftermarket speedo as all the dash is gone and I just have a couple gauges in a home made dash above the steering column

My question is, can I buy an aftermarket speedo with a mile gauge included and run this off a standard 205 speedo cable? Will the standard cable plug into the back of the aftermarket speedo the same as it would a standard speedo?

Has anyone ever fitted a aftermarket speedo?

Thanx

wardy18

very sorry my phone keeps messin up and posting 3 times, please delete 2 of these

James_R

I have an acewell speedo/tacho/timer set up , which is pretty good, I used a VSS sender as found on later 306's etc..., all you need to do is measure the wheel rolling radius, then count the number of teeth on the worm drive for the speedo take off bit, and divide the rolling radius by the teeth time 2 and you'll get the speed workign first time :) accurate to 1mm radius too which is a touch over accurate if you ask me.

the VSS just replaces the bit the speedo cable goes in to it's a 3 pin out I've got the pin out written down somewhere if you need it.

wardy18

so where do the wires come from within the engine for the 3 pin on the back of the speedo!?

is it not as simple as my question then, ie all speedo's are practically universal in the way the cable plugs into the back of the speedometer?!

wardy18

sorry just has a quick look, is the VSS a seperate unit?!

the speedo cable from the diff housing plugs into the VSS which is programmed as u said above then the 3 wires from the VSS go into the Speedometer!?

sorry never head of this before now

James_R

the VSS replaces the bit that bolts to the diff housing that the speedo cable usually comes out of, then you have a 3 wire plug on the back of that you feef through to the car, or at least one, you ave power signal ground, can't remember the order, but essentially you remove the take off for cable from the diff housing, put a VSS in, power and ground it then run the signal in to the electric speedo. In theory you can then put the liks of a 306 leccy speedo in, but that's a touch gash, I went with an all in one option to give me revs etc.... aswell as max speed, revs, timing function clock, can swap MPH/KmH for driving abroad etc....

Hmm Acewell can be fitted to the std cluster over the speedo position if you want to retain a analouge rev gauge aswell.

wardy18

so not a massively simple and cheap job as I was hoping then as you have the expense of the vss aswel as a gauge

How much for a vss and where from

Thanx for your help mate

James_R

£5 from a scrap yard, although they fit in your pocket. Also anyone breaking a 306Gti probabaly has one spare like jonnie205 for example. so no not costly at all, and very simple, and no cable to go wrong either.

Edited by James_R

wardy18

sorry im confused, so what parts do i actually need to source?!

can i get the VSS and Speedo all from a 306gti and fit it to mine?!