• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Drop Link Fouling Hub

Veero

Right went to park today and was widing it round to full lock and felt a scraping. Reversed and felt another scraping as I straightened up.

I remember when I fitted the 306 GTi6 struts to the car that the drop link looked bloody close to the shoulder on the hub clamp at the base of the strut. Looking at the 306 strut next to the 205 one the drop link tab is 30 or so degrees further round.

Is there anyway to stop this fouling? I guess I could grind off the guide tab on the back of the strut that locates it in the hub clamp, and swing it round so it's in the same orientation as the 205 one. I barely use full lock anyway so not too bothered but something like that is an MOT failure...

Cheers

Veero

welshpug

not seen a 205 with this arrangement on it yet, but can the droplink be fitted the other way into the tab on the strut?

Rippthrough

Not got the dampers on the wrong sides have you?

Peetypug

its the dampers the wrong way round.

I did it on mine

If its wrong the drop link will be bolting to the front bumper side of the strut and diagonally down towards the rear into the arb

Veero

Nope the struts are on the right sides. With the steering straight on both drop link tabs and facing inwards and slightly backwards. The 205 ones point much more towards the back of the car when the steering is in the neutral position.

marksorrento205

I know where you are coing from. Im planning to fit gti6 dampers to my 205 and thought this may be a problem when I was changing my 306 ones over. There must be a simple way of sorting these out?

Gentrix
I know where you are coing from. Im planning to fit gti6 dampers to my 205 and thought this may be a problem when I was changing my 306 ones over. There must be a simple way of sorting these out?

I had 306 dampers on mine and noticed this whilst reasambling last year. The original 205 Dampers have the tab to attache the droplink almost straight backwards whilst the 306 dampers have the tap 90 degree to the inner wing.

DSC01943.gif

306 damper

daempferohr.jpg

205 damper

AdamP

A slightly drastic method... Cut off the ball joint, thread the top of the droplink, stick a rod end on it, bolt it through with a decent length bolt and a space, then space it out the right amount with washers.

I'm doing this this weekend so I'll have a look when i'm putting it together :excl:

marksorrento205

Nice one gentrix. I had no pics to explain. And was not going to try with words :excl:

As for modding a drop link, Would you mind taking a few pics and posting your results :lol:

Edited by marksorrento205

Gentrix
Nice one gentrix. I had no pics to explain. And was not going to try with words :lol:

As for modding a drop link, Would you mind taking a few pics and posting your results :D

honestly, at the moment I noticed that, I wondered how this did work anyway. If not the droplink would foul the hub, the tap itself could easily hit the inner wing - its really tight there. Will see, how Adam comes along with the orthopedical extension *g*

But somehow it must have worked as I have driven these dampers for 6 months without any trouble - and they were great with the 30mm gutmann springs.

And yes, it was me, who replaced this wrong 306 dampers without noting in the first place :excl:

andi

marksorrento205

Andy a quick one, are you running 309 lower arms?

AdamP

Ooops, it came across as if i'd be carrying out the droplink mod, what i actually meant is that i'm fitting GTi-6 dampers and that was what had gone through my head as a way of solving the problem should it arise in my setup!

I'm going to be running 309 wishbones as well so that might give the extra clearance needed.

Gentrix
Andy a quick one, are you running 309 lower arms?

no they are 205 ones.

andi

Baz
Right went to park today and was widing it round to full lock and felt a scraping. Reversed and felt another scraping as I straightened up.

I remember when I fitted the 306 GTi6 struts to the car that the drop link looked bloody close to the shoulder on the hub clamp at the base of the strut. Looking at the 306 strut next to the 205 one the drop link tab is 30 or so degrees further round.

Is there anyway to stop this fouling? I guess I could grind off the guide tab on the back of the strut that locates it in the hub clamp, and swing it round so it's in the same orientation as the 205 one. I barely use full lock anyway so not too bothered but something like that is an MOT failure...

Cheers

Veero

Which way round is the pinch bolt on the hub? I had this as it seems some drop links are fatter or different to others, found it was the bolt, the threaded part was on the longest side, turned round and there was enough/more clearance.

marksorrento205

Did anyone have any joy with this?