• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest phil19gti

Groaning Steering

Guest phil19gti

When I turn the wheels on my car there's a terrible groaning noise. It sounds like a dry joint or something similar.

Has anyone any ideas?

Robbie G

Me too, but only recently, only occasionally, and only quietly.

I think it's the first signs of a worn steering rack. If that's the case Im gonna fit a quick rack and maybe power steering.

Fuqa

mines been like it for years.. sound cokes and goes, tried everything, just live with it now :wacko:

Robbie G

Oh...try lubing and tightening the universal joint inside the footwell and near the firewall. This solved a similar problem I had a while back.

Fuqa
Oh...try lubing and tightening the universal joint inside the footwell and near the firewall. This solved a similar problem I had a while back.

done that on mine.. but noise has come back again

pug_ham

Isn't there another just outside the bulkhead in the engine bay or do you mean that one?

Mine made a noise after returning from FCS and I figured it need a new one lower steering column but it hasn't done it since. (well on the drive to & from Pugfest anyway)

Can't see it being the whole rack but who knows.

Graham.:wacko:

nick

Mine does the same, but only at low speed when parking, I've only noticed it after doing the Mi conversion so I wondered if the extra heat from the e/manifold had dried up what little bit of lube was left in the U/J.

Nick

Alan_M

Mine did this, and i changed the p/steering fluid and it stoped! Really nice at parking speeds now!

Guest phil19gti

Mine tends to only do it at low speeds too. Greasing up the universal joint does sound like a good suggestion as the sound is definitely coming from the footwell.

pug_ham
Mine did this, and i changed the p/steering fluid and it stoped! Really nice at parking speeds now!

I don't have PAS on my car though.

Graham.:wacko:

205man

mine used to groan (creaking rubber noise) when turning at low speed and it turned out to be the top mounts where kanckered, it stopped when i replaced them

alan

C_W

The gaitors on the steering rack can sometimes make a groaning type of noise.

Guest aclivea

I know this a bit of an old thread but I've just cured this by changing the inner bushes on the anti roll bar. Used to creak like a creaky door on national creek day now nice and quiet. Try spraying them with WD40 and see if this makes it better for a while, if so its probably worth replacing them.

Multi story car parks are a much quieter affair now.

Miles

Could be one of the drop links, Just changed mine and has cured the worst of it, Just the top mounts next

Guest aclivea

Basicaly it looks like all we've concluded is that groaning steering could be anything, Typical pug, love em.

Guest phil19gti

I never got round to solving this problem because of busy weekends.

I ended up discovering the noise was coming from near the pasenger wheel after jacking it up. It sounds like a dry joint. I'm not very hot on the steering components - it comes from inside the black ribbed rubber seal behind the gearbox.

Is that the driveshaft?

Sign in to follow this