• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejimmy

Why Is There Sparks From My Exhaust?

weejimmy

:) had a play with my stdt yesyerday and turned boost up to 20psi. turned the lucas pump up a fair bit to, so theres a wee drop black smoke but nothing too bad,

its done nearly 220k so was slower than my beter halfs 205 td(stock) but now its about the same.

after fiddiling all day i got her to give me a wee race to see, and when we stoped she told me i had sparks coming out exhaust, :blink:

even when ticking over it was doing it a bit.

the temp was geting realy high so not sure if that would help. just drove home in 5th to let it cool a bit and was ok after that.

so any ideas why the sparks? geting hot and burning all the old soot out ?

bits of over hot turbo coming off lol?

kyepan

no idea, but wanging the boost up certainly sounds like a recipe for trouble.

welshpug

especially as STDT's have no form of intercooling, your intake temps would be skyrocketing and contributing to the black smoke!

18PSi is regarded as the safe limit for a standard 1.9 which is Intercooled.

weejimmy

lol yeah i read 16 psi was most sensible but had spent ages adjusting things and got to 20psi and thought well ill see what hapens.

but as says in my sig i am trying to kill it.

just thought the sparks were amusing

omega

could be the silencer breaking down inside

S@m

I have only seen the sparks from the exhaust scenario once, and it was with a friends 405 1.9 TD, it was the end of that car! Im not sure what exactly caused the sparks but the head gasket was most certainly gone, power was well down and fixing that wasnt worth the cash, given that the car had covered about 270k, and so was worth about £10. Could the increased pressure and inlet temps be interfering with the HG sealing the head and block!?

Sam

hengti
could be the silencer breaking down inside

only time i've experienced this myself, i thought that must have been the cause

what's the system baffled with? could it be over heating the exhaust and shedding/setting fire to the packing?

Mikey S

my bro in laws 306 dturbo did this when we turned the fueling and the boost up. we put it down to carbon deposits getting red hot. was most hilarious when giving it a bootfull though!

but, it didnt last long, it dropped a pre-combustion chamber and smashed the bore, piston and head to pieces.

pugit666

my mates xs did the same. it was his baffle maerial breaking down and burning out. he liked to drive along and turn off the ignition, give it some gas and then re-ignite giving a loud bang. funny the first time not so funny the 879th time

weejimmy

think it was exhaust as my car sounds like a tractor even more now lol