• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danpass15

[misc_work] Had My 205 Lowered Today

danpass15

Has been lowered 40mm on spax shocks and springs, shame the weathers been so bad that I couldnt give it a proper road test!

th_08032009083.jpg

th_08032009082.jpg

th_08032009081.jpg

th_08032009080.jpg

th_08032009079.jpg

th_08032009078.jpg

th_08032009077.jpg

th_08032009076.jpg

th_08032009075.jpg

timmsy19

looking good. same hight as mine :blush:

been looking for pics of a standard 205 beam lowered 40mm to compair it to mine :)

danpass15
looking good. same hight as mine :blush:

been looking for pics of a standard 205 beam lowered 40mm to compair it to mine :)

Ah right, cool. Got a magnex full system, will hopefully get that put on in the next week or so! Just need some phase 2 rear lights and will be sorted then!

timmsy19

looking good though all the same. if it were me i'd stick with the phase 1 front and rear lights. personal choice though.

danpass15
looking good though all the same. if it were me i'd stick with the phase 1 front and rear lights. personal choice though.

ah right, could do...but I hate the orange!!! so they gotta go! will get clear side repetors too.

marksorrento205

Looks sweet. Loving the dark wheels with the red!

GLPoomobile

Back needs to come up a wee smidgen.

rubyna

How many splines was it lowerd on the back? imo back up 1 spline be perfect!! Like the wheels against the red looks nice..

Luke.

pugdamo

Looks smart mate,nice looking car aswell,looks very clean. Will look nice with the phase2 lights and the Magnex. Get some pics up when its all on.

Keep up the good work

j_turnell

Looks good but agree with GLP back needs to come up a bit imo.

Baz

Ya, agreed, looks a tad too low so that the handling may be comromised, give it a go for a bit and see what you think though. :blush:

Wheels do look good with the red though! :)

Ryan_B

Looks good mate, real retro!! I agree with the guys but i think one nick up at the rear. I found the only way to get round dropping the back down two nicks was to fit coilovers up front, that gets the front nose right down to match the rear.

EdCherry

Errr your meant to measure the distance rather than just do 'splines'.

Anyway back on topic, looks nice.

Baz
Looks good mate, real retro!! I agree with the guys but i think one nick up at the rear. I found the only way to get round dropping the back down two nicks was to fit coilovers up front, that gets the front nose right down to match the rear.

Or just do it properly to match the front without being ridiculously low... :blush:

welshpug

agreed with many of the comments, just a tad too low, especially on standard components, forget the "one spline, 2 spline" method :lol:

also another fan of staying a proper Phase 1, they're getting increasingly rare now.

If you do fit P2 lights, its rather obvious that its a P1, that droopy tash spoiler :blush: (you can't change it either, the boot is a different shape, you'd have to change the boot, which being red will never match...) not to mention the E reg its wearing :P

richsmells

Looks nice. I echo the comments about the rear being a bit low. Mine's the same and I think the handling is a little compromised as it's ill matched to the front setup. You can set the beam to any height you like by measuring and using a dummy shock.

danpass15
Back needs to come up a wee smidgen.

Yeah the backs only an estimate of about 40mm cos we were gonna take the torsion bars out but the nuts were so corroded would have meant drilling out and that would of took a whole day just to do the back. Gonna see how I get on with it first.

How many splines was it lowerd on the back? imo back up 1 spline be perfect!! Like the wheels against the red looks nice..

Luke.

That is only 1 spine, I think 1 spine is about 40mm...

danpass15

To all the peeps saying the back is a bit low, I agree. It took 3 hours to do the front yesterday, when got to the back could not get the torsion bars out cos the nuts were so corroded and it would have meant drilling them out. So had to do it the other way and move it one spline, however as people have said and we both knew thats not the best way to do it because you cant measure it. I will drive it for a while and see what its like, if the handling feels to compromised I will have to do it the other way and meausre it properly.

Thanks for all the nice comments :blush:

danpass15

had exhaust fitted this morning.

09032009085.jpg

09032009084.jpg

GLPoomobile

The back looks more like 60mm lower to me. I appreciate you had some problems getting it right, so not having a dig, but I suspect you will find it bouncing off the bump stops a lot (unless you don't drive particularly bumpy roads). Or if the bumps stops have already gone (common for the cup to corrode and the stop to fall off), then you will probably find the tyre rubs the front of the arch where it meest the sill.

I defo prefer Ph2 rear lights, but agree with WP that it might look a bit mix 'n' match. I'd go fully retro and OE and keep the tail lights along with amber side and front indicators. Cherry Red and Black are the only 2 colours on a 205 GTI that I think suit orange indicators.

danpass15
The back looks more like 60mm lower to me. I appreciate you had some problems getting it right, so not having a dig, but I suspect you will find it bouncing off the bump stops a lot (unless you don't drive particularly bumpy roads). Or if the bumps stops have already gone (common for the cup to corrode and the stop to fall off), then you will probably find the tyre rubs the front of the arch where it meest the sill.

I defo prefer Ph2 rear lights, but agree with WP that it might look a bit mix 'n' match. I'd go fully retro and OE and keep the tail lights along with amber side and front indicators. Cherry Red and Black are the only 2 colours on a 205 GTI that I think suit orange indicators.

Yeah one of the rear bump stops was missing, I have put a bid on one on ebay. Yeah after everyones comments Im not sure now :blush: might put the orange indicators back on! keep it retro.