• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris-stdt

1.6 Poor Oil Pressure

chris-stdt

my new 1.6 which is on 102k doesnt seem to hold good oil pressure ,only about qauter at best and when driving hard and cornering fast it drops to almost nothing

The gauge can be tempremental but to does seem to work ,just changed the engine oil and treated with engine flush but doesnt seem to have made a difference

Is my engine getting tyred or might it be a dodgey oil pressure sender ?

pug_ham

I'd suspect the sender or wiring before condeming the engine.

Does the main stop light flicker on when the pressure guage drops?

Graham.

chris-stdt
I'd suspect the sender or wiring before condeming the engine.

Does the main stop light flicker on when the pressure guage drops?

Graham.

It doesnt flicker when it drops but the light does come on when you start the car

pugdamo

Mine has done 140k and the oil pressure is just above 3quarters when cold and once its warmed up it drops back to just under 3quarters. To check the wiring try earthing out the sensor,the guage should go straight to the top,if it does then its either a dodgy sensor or an oil pump issue. Are you running the correct grade oil? If its to thin that could have an effect,i think its 15w40 that you should be running,it says it in the back of your handbook anyway

chris-stdt

Im running 10 W 40 oil

How would you go about earthing out the sensor and where does it sit on the engine ?

pugdamo

Its on the back of the block,its got a one wire connector going to it,just push a paper clip in the connector,and rub it against the block,get someone inside to watch the needle,it should go right to the top. If you can get hold of a pressure tester with the adaptors to fit the sensor the oil pressure should be 3.5 bar at 4000rpm,if its low you know its the engine.

MerlinGTI

Its on the front of the block isnt it? big one, 1 wire to it, to the right of the alternator and lower down

pugdamo
Its on the front of the block isnt it? big one, 1 wire to it, to the right of the alternator and lower down

Sorry my bad,yeah it is

chris-stdt

Cheers lads il check it later

martyn180

My oil pressue was a little low, and took the sump off and change the spring, and pressure relief valve in the oil pump , Added a 5th extra pressue to the engine per the guage, parts came in less than £15.00 from pug and just a couple of hours- and im no mechanic. Also have just change the guage( off felabay), and the cable connector came off, Stripping the wire back, must at least an inch of corroded cable in the sheath as well.

Sign in to follow this