• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

Wishbone Worn ?

buster205

hi all

i've got a clunking noise going over bumps on passenger side, jacked wheel up and held at 3 and 9 o'clock and theres quite a lot of movement looks like wishbone ball joint, doesn't seem to be much up and down movement in ball/socket though, no movement in wheel when held at top and bottom so i'm presuming wheel bearing is ok ? any ideas

cheers

Ste

nick

Checked mine this morning, just the same, mine is definitely wishbone.

Nick

buster205
Checked mine this morning, just the same, mine is definitely wishbone.

Nick

yeah i was convinced it would be wishbone but having read a few posts mentioning ovalled hub carriers and wrong type of pinch bolt i'm not so sure, looking underneath whilst doing sump today i noticed p/side pinch bolt as much more thread protruding compared with drivers side, that is the first thing i'll check

cheers

Ste

bouver

Sometimes when you jack a car up the play dissapears. When you have a few hundred kilograms of engine and car resting on it going round a corner te problem is definately there!

Check everything is tight, and have a good look at the bushes in your 'bones.

buster205
Sometimes when you jack a car up the play dissapears. When you have a few hundred kilograms of engine and car resting on it going round a corner te problem is definately there!

Check everything is tight, and have a good look at the bushes in your 'bones.

yeah i will tomorrow, gonna change wishbone i think and also get the bolt kit from autofive (although a bit steep at £11.50 for 3 bolts)

cheers

Ste

nick

Don't bother with the bolt kit, buy a bush kit from Peugeot which has four bushes and all the nut bolts and washers in (enough to do both wishbones) for about £17. You DEFINITELY need to put the Pug bushes in as the aftermarket ones will fail in a matter of months if not weeks. The Pug bushes will outlast the balljoint.

Do a search on how to remove the old bushes and for the part number of the bush kit.

Nick

buster205
Don't bother with the bolt kit, buy a bush kit from Peugeot which has four bushes and all the nut bolts and washers in (enough to do both wishbones) for about £17. You DEFINITELY need to put the Pug bushes in as the aftermarket ones will fail in a matter of months if not weeks. The Pug bushes will outlast the balljoint.

Do a search on how to remove the old bushes and for the part number of the bush kit.

Nick

nice one ! didn't know the bushes are so poor on pattern wishbones, £17 is well cheap, i was told £10 per side plus vat just for the bolts, i'll order them tomorrow !

cheers nick

Ste

stutto

From another post:

3599.07 is the fitting kit part number.

Was looking myself as I have had pattern wishbones on for a while now.

Bonzai

surely if you just undo the pinchbolt and drop the w/bone down from the hub youd know straight away if it was the balljoint rather than just guessing

nick

Don't really need to that. I just lay under the front and moved the wheel about, easy to spot where the movement is.

Nick

buster205
surely if you just undo the pinchbolt and drop the w/bone down from the hub youd know straight away if it was the balljoint rather than just guessing

i think you are right ! i tried the method of moving the wheel about whilst jacked up and it's hard to distinguish if ball/socket as movement or if movement is in hub carrier/ball joint shank

Ste