• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemmingzappa

Knocking Through The Wheels

lemmingzappa

When I steer the car and move the steering wheel either way more than roughly 90 degrees, I experience a knocking/loud tapping sound through the wheels.

I know the car has had a driveshaft replaced with a 2nd hand one in the past, is this a possible suspect ?

Or could it be something as simple as getting the tracking sorted ?

welshpug

quite likely to be an outer CV joint, have you checked the condition of the CV boots?

lemmingzappa
quite likely to be an outer CV joint, have you checked the condition of the CV boots?

No I havent checked them, i'm assuming they are the rubber type gaitors that go over the end of each driveshaft ?

I'll go and take a look now and report back.

lemmingzappa

I just checked and the boots on both the driveshafts and the CV joints seem ok when looking through the top of the engine bay.

Cant see any major damage to them, just coated in oil.

Alteran

To check the outer C.V boots you need to peer underneath the car, near the brake discs. It sounds like you're checking the inner boots when you say you're looking from the engine bay. Knocking outer C.V joints occur when accelarating on a turn. The knock seems to quieten down or even disappear when your foot is off the pedal. Something for you to check..

Liam.

swordfish210

Just because the boot is in good condtion doesn't mean that the joint is ok. Jack the car up and grab the shaft of the driveshaft and wiggle it about, there shouldnt be any play in it, if there is a significant amount then that will be the problem.

Guest mosleygtiminter
When I steer the car and move the steering wheel either way more than roughly 90 degrees, I experience a knocking/loud tapping sound through the wheels.

I know the car has had a driveshaft replaced with a 2nd hand one in the past, is this a possible suspect ?

Or could it be something as simple as getting the tracking sorted ?

hi there it is your link arms you will have to do both side's if you only do 1 side the other 1 will go with in a week its a really easy job and they should have them at you local car part shop ie

partco

allparts

als

hope that helps adam