• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

Vibrations And Rattles

buster205

is it just my 205 or just how most behave ? i seem to have high levels of vibration inside car mainly affecting aftermarket sunroof (buzzing/resonating) instrument binnacle rattling etc ! should i just crank up the stereo or are there any remedies ?

cheers

Ste

Rom

Are you running uprated mounts / suspension etc ? These can all make it worse.

But generally, most 205s have been taken apart to a certain degree. So you may have broken clips, loose trims etc etc.

Mine had a load of rattles. Its not back together fully, but it was fully stripped for painting. So every panel has been lined with foam or felt on any bits that touch anything.

Just trying to eliminate as many as i can.

Most are easy to locate. Then its a case of finding exactly what causes it. And how to stop it.

Dont get too obssesed with them though :rolleyes:

buster205
Are you running uprated mounts / suspension etc ? These can all make it worse.

But generally, most 205s have been taken apart to a certain degree. So you may have broken clips, loose trims etc etc.

Mine had a load of rattles. Its not back together fully, but it was fully stripped for painting. So every panel has been lined with foam or felt on any bits that touch anything.

Just trying to eliminate as many as i can.

Most are easy to locate. Then its a case of finding exactly what causes it. And how to stop it.

Dont get too obssesed with them though :rolleyes:

new mounts fitted but are all oe spec, can instrument binnacle be removed from top half of dash ? cuz that is the worst of the rattles ?

Rom

The top dash around the clocks comes off seperate to the main dash.

Off the top of my head, the heater dials and panel come off, the coin tray, triangle blank, the trim aroudn the ashtray etc too i think. A torx tucked away by the OS 'A' pillar, few screws for the steerign shroud etc.

Its not bad once youve done it. But can be a bit fiddly the first time.

Once out, check the instrument cluster, it has 2 plastic 'feet' on the bottom edge, that locate into rubber mounts. If broken they can rattle a fair bit.

Most rattles will be where trim hasnt bee refitted properly, or clips are broken, missing etc.

buster205
The top dash around the clocks comes off seperate to the main dash.

Off the top of my head, the heater dials and panel come off, the coin tray, triangle blank, the trim aroudn the ashtray etc too i think. A torx tucked away by the OS 'A' pillar, few screws for the steerign shroud etc.

Its not bad once youve done it. But can be a bit fiddly the first time.

Once out, check the instrument cluster, it has 2 plastic 'feet' on the bottom edge, that locate into rubber mounts. If broken they can rattle a fair bit.

Most rattles will be where trim hasnt bee refitted properly, or clips are broken, missing etc.

i'll have a look tomorrow, i've fitted new underfelt from autofive which as cut down engine and road noise so making rattles more noticable doh !

cheers for the advice !

Ste

Uberderv
:) I had an endless supply of rattles in my GRDT, fix one it would be replaced by a new'un. It was at its worst at idle, but a little tweek to the idle speed sorted it. Bit of a bodge i suppose but its better than constantly looking for them.

buster205
:) I had an endless supply of rattles in my GRDT, fix one it would be replaced by a new'un. It was at its worst at idle, but a little tweek to the idle speed sorted it. Bit of a bodge i suppose but its better than constantly looking for them.

my gti resonates worst at idle but i have a dashboard rattle whilst driving, i think Rom is right when he said "don' get too obsessed with it" it is 18 years old after all

cheers

ste

Rom

Dont get me wrong....ive gone above and beyond with mine. But not ran it since, so un sure of the results.

Ive covered / packed / lined everything that looks like it might even think about rattling. But id lay money i still have rattles.

We have brand new cars at work that develop rattles. And there a hell of a lot better built than a 20 year old Peugeot :ph34r:

buster205
Dont get me wrong....ive gone above and beyond with mine. But not ran it since, so un sure of the results.

Ive covered / packed / lined everything that looks like it might even think about rattling. But id lay money i still have rattles.

We have brand new cars at work that develop rattles. And there a hell of a lot better built than a 20 year old Peugeot :ph34r:

didn't get round to it today, i've got quite a few jobs on the go at once, mot next month, leaking sump gasket, leaking rear shock, what i was sure is a knackered wishbone but having read a few different threads might turn out to be ovalled hole in hub carrier, happy days, no chance of getting bored for the forseeable !

Ste