• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattw

Exhaust Manifold Fitting Kit?

mattw

Hi,

I'm going to change my cracked manifold on my 1.9 in a couple of weeks and need to know if there is anything I need (ie a fitting kit)?

I have bought a nut splitter so will obviously need new nuts and I presume a gasket? If so where can I get these from?

I'm also looking to paint the replacement second hand manifold with some silver high temp paint. Is there anyone who has experience with these paints and do they work?!

Cheers,

Matt

brian j
Hi,

I'm going to change my cracked manifold on my 1.9 in a couple of weeks and need to know if there is anything I need (ie a fitting kit)?

I have bought a nut splitter so will obviously need new nuts and I presume a gasket? If so where can I get these from?

Really you need a new set of exhaust manifold gaskets (there are 4, one for each port), new copper nuts if you are going to split them, and a new manifold to downpipe seal kit.

When I searched, the opinion was it was best to stick to genuine pug parts at least for the gaskets, so that's what I did. They are easily available, but cost around £30 all in IIRC.

mattw

Thank you for the advice!

I already have the kit for the downpipe/mainfold but need to buy the rest.

I presume my local pug dealer can order the gaskets and nuts in?

Edited by mattw

jord294

as above.

i use genuine peugeot parts.

you should be aware that the exhaust manifold stud, on the cam pulley side has a tendancy to either break or come loose. so if i were you, i'd fit new studs aswell

past rebuilt engines i've done, i've had the exhaust manifold shot blasted, and then applied VHT paint (usually about 4 layers)

had no negative feedback as yet :ph34r:

Edited by jord294

Tom Fenton

There isn'ty a huge amount of access so you may find you struggle to get your nut splitter in there. I would arm yourself with plenty of duck oil and a 13mm and a 12mm 6-point socket- if the 13mm won't grip then you may find you can wallop the 12mm on there to do the job.

mattw

Good advice as usual, thanks!

After looking at loads of posts in this topic I have a couple more questions:

1) do I need to use washers (spring washers were suggested) between nut and manifold?

2) do I need to use a sealant such as loctite 5920?

3) Will I need to skim the front face of the manifold I have to go on, if so how much will this cost?

Cheers

Baz

I'd use Loctite 5920 anyway rather than gaskets, superb stuff.

You could use spring washers yes, but they lose their springyness over time with heat anyway, brass nuts would be better.

You may need toi skim the manifold although cast iron ones don't seem to bow as much as other materials, put it on a straight edge and check just in case though.

Soak the old ones as said in some WD40/PlusGas/Diesel etc for a few days before you attack them, should help. Sometimes there's a mix and match off odd sized nuts rather than just 13mm, namely some odd, around 11mm ones that can be a PITA, and you may also get the stud come out rather than just the nut, so be armed with some spare studs aswel as nuts before you attack the job!

McDude

If you can get some rachet spanners as that will make the job a little easier. It's very difficult to get a regular ratchet in there and a regular ring spanner can be a fiddle.

As for painting - why? The manifold sits fairly well hidden away in an engine bay, which is ultimately a dirty place.

Baz

Thing is, most ratchet spanners are 12 pointed which round stubborn nuts easily, initially try and use 6 sided spanner/socket to crack them off to reduce the risk of rounding them off!

Edited by Baz

mattw
I'd use Loctite 5920 anyway rather than gaskets, superb stuff.

You could use spring washers yes, but they lose their springyness over time with heat anyway, brass nuts would be better.

Would it be a good idea to use gaskets as well as loctite? Would this give a better fit?

[

Thing is, most ratchet spanners are 12 pointed which round stubborn nuts easily, initially try and use 6 sided spanner/socket to crack them off to reduce the risk of rounding them off!

I realy want to use a nut splitter if possible as I'm worried about sheering the studs off if I try to force the nuts too hard!

I want to make sure the new manifold doesn't blow as I don't want to be taking it off again.

EdCherry

Fitting kit for manifold to downpipe is worth getting, something like £12?

Manifold gaskets to the block are something worth getting I guess £12 again?

The studs and nuts are dirt cheap from peugeot like £2 or something all in with 2 spares of each.

steve@cornwall
Fitting kit for manifold to downpipe is worth getting, something like £12?

Manifold gaskets to the block are something worth getting I guess £12 again?

The studs and nuts are dirt cheap from peugeot like £2 or something all in with 2 spares of each.

I've just bought some manifold gaskets

X P0000034790 016584/E 016584/EXH MANIF 4 @ 2.31 = 9.24

You may have the fun of old 10mm manifold nuts. I find it best to knock a 3/8 socket on these from the beginning as they will invariably round off with a 10mm and after this a 3/8 may or may not fit (if you can't get the nut splitter on)

aCe

I popped down the local Kwik-Fit and they had a complete fitting kit on the shelf. Gave the guy a fiver and we were both happy.

It's gotta be worth trying all the exhuast fitting companies first as they stock them due to doing them day inb and day out!

Sign in to follow this