• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fulani

Summer Tyres For 205 Gti

fulani

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. Apologies if not.

I’ve struggled through the winter on terrible, terrible Pirelli P6000s, and want to get a decent tyre for the summer. I was planning on doing a couple of trackdays this year (not as many as last year!) and at least one trip the ‘ring.

My 205 is used for a 300 mile a week commute on A and B roads, fun driving at the weekend, and the occasional long journey up to the family in Scotland. I do have use of a Corsa though, so if the weather is bad I generally take that. Even the 165 width tyres on that seem to grip better than the P6000s on the GTI in the wet.

For summer and track use I’ve always been a fan of Yokohama A539s, but it appears you can’t get them any more. Is there is a direct replacement?

I was looking at Toyo R888s, as I think I could live with the lack of grip in the wet. Anything has to be better than these P6000s. I’m just concerned about wear rates, given the annual mileage of the car is around 12-15000. The A539s used to last about 8-10k miles depending on track use.

I need to replace all four corners, so looking at around £320 for R888s. Is there anything similar that would wear better? I don’t think I can stretch to Yoko AO48s (best price I’ve found is £140 a corner in my area).

Would the R888s give a good enough increase in performance to warrant the wet weather performance trade-off, or should I save £50-60 and just get the Goodyears that everyone seems to rave about?

MerlinGTI

Yoko Paradas! I payed £120 for all 4 recently.

888's are stickier, but for comuting and the odd track day I would say Paradas are more suited. Fantastic tyre imo, im well happy with them :wacko: I dont think they are bad at all in the wet either (Certinally a thousand times better than the A510's I was running)

Everyone does rate the F1's though, although I read a lot about massive difference in quality depending on where they are made (do a google)

Cameron

I don't know why everyone thinks semi-slicks are terrible in the wet, they really aren't! The only time you'll have real problems is if you go ploughing through patches of standing water. I wouldn't bother with semis if you're only using it as a road car, just get some decent summer tyres. Lots of people were raving about paradas so I'd give them a try.

Ludi

I`m not very sure about Goodyears,but Toyo are great for summer times,I use Toyo Proxes 195-50-15 T1-S and can`t complain,I think that T1-R are with better spec. and with similar price.

Edited by Ludi

Cameron

I don't know if you mean Goodyear F1, but I wouldn't go for those to be honest. The sidewalls are very thin so you get a large amount of tyre roll which doesn't really inspire confidence.

fulani

Ah, so are the Paradas the A539 replacement then? If so they are dirt cheap (cheapeer even than the A539s were), and I'll hook up a set sharpish.

fulani
Yoko Paradas! I payed £120 for all 4 recently.

:wacko:

Say what?? Where??!

Tom Fenton

Ebay, £126 for 4 in 195/50/15

fulani
Ebay, £126 for 4 in 195/50/15

Ah, so not a fitted price then...

MerlinGTI

Still cheap :wacko: fitting is like what? £20?

fulani
Still cheap :wacko: fitting is like what? £20?

I've not found a place near me that will fit any tyres not purchased from themselves. Been turned away point blank by all the usual places.

MerlinGTI

blimey thats a bit harsh!

Cameron

Kwik Fit (spits) will do them for you.

platty

I'm after a set at the minute.....I'm torn between Yoko Pradas Spec-2's or Toyo T1R's. Any opinions on them?

Ludi

If I`m on your place I`ll take the Toyo T1-R. :wub:

Edited by Ludi

Miles

I know allot of tyre places that don't fit supplied tyres now, It's a case of finding a local company which normally do as all the chain's have company polices not allowing this,

But tyre wise I'd go with the Falken 912's, much better than the Yoko or Toyo, cheaper and last longer too

joe1joe

well iv not long had the toyos tr-1 fitted on the front and they are very good, think they are soft ish soo grip very well

duno if they wud stand the heat on a track with serious driving??

but iv looked into it alot annd found alot of people choose the tr-1 over paradas, mate got them and the toyos doo seem beter

and no preoblem in the wet wether atall

shalmaneser
I'm after a set at the minute.....I'm torn between Yoko Pradas Spec-2's or Toyo T1R's. Any opinions on them?

Not tried the Yokos but my Ebay specials (£120 for four) T1R's are lovely. They're fine in the rain or standing water too. I reckon they'd overheat on track but i rarely do any track stuff so im not too bothered.

Probably best road tyre around for the 205, especially at that price!

Ebay linky

Price is up to £130 tho, still a bargain. They were great to buy from for me, I'll be using them again, free fitting if you're near Macclesfield too.

dandelph

just put a set of 912 falkens on mine and so far very impressed even in the rain :lol:

fulani
But tyre wise I'd go with the Falken 912's, much better than the Yoko or Toyo, cheaper and last longer too

How are they on track?

Miles

Never tried them on track, but going by my other Falkens they perform well

andyjstone
Never tried them on track, but going by my other Falkens they perform well

Looking to change my T1Rs which I find pretty good, but do turn molten very fast on the track - so for mainly track use would you say (putting the price aside) that the Falkens would be better than 888s?

Andy

Miles

No way as the 888's or A048R's are a track tire and cannot even be compared with any road tyre, But the main thing you need to do with any road tyre on track is get them buffed down as this helps allot with the scrubbing of the tyre

andyjstone
No way as the 888's or A048R's are a track tire and cannot even be compared with any road tyre, But the main thing you need to do with any road tyre on track is get them buffed down as this helps allot with the scrubbing of the tyre

OK (sorry to hijack this thread!) if I go for 888s (as I have found a local dealer who can supply AND fit them cheaper than I can BUY them on eBay) should I go for the GG or SG for track use?

Andy