• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Subframe Swap - 1.1 Tu For Gti

steve@cornwall

I'm wanting to fit a GTi subframe / wishbones to my little 1,1. (I don't like working on the base type lower arms and I have a gti setup going spare)

There appears to be a hole through which the small balljoint will fit, but is the "tower" for the L-bracket the same? It looks like the angle may be different.

Would be really helpful if anyone has done this before for a definitive answer

AdamP

That reminds me, i meant to take photos of the completed subframe while i was at home on the weekend.

There's two ways to do it. You can either move the post that's on there (I think mr Swordfish210 did it that way) or cut the post off off the old subframe and weld it on. I went for the second option as i had a spare subframe and felt it was easier to position it properly :)

swordfish210

It's true i did use the post that was on the GTI subframe, just cut it off and rewelded it in a new position. Like Adam said it's a bit easier to position the TU gear post, depends whether you want to butcher up the old subframe or not.

steve@cornwall

I don't weld, so I guess it's a case of getting someone local to move the gti post to the tu position - thanks for the imfo, guys, now I know what needs doing :rolleyes: I'll lower the car on gti struts, hubs & brakes for now and put the subframe on th "to do" list :)